Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm now the proud owner of a '98 Disco I. I paid $750 for her, she's definitely got her flaws but well worth the money. Previous owner bought her as a project. While sitting, someone stole a catalytic converter off it so he bought a $800 Magnaflow catalytic converter set for it, then when he went to install that converter set he just simply lost interest and dumped her for cheap to me.

I'll be updating this thread as I fix her up to be a daily driver & light trail/overlanding rig.

The Good:
  • The frame and body are 100% rust/corrosion/dent/ding free. You could eat off the frame, definitely been a babied city driven Rover.
  • The paint, aside from the hood, is in good shape. I hand washed and took some fine cut rubbing compound to a spot on the passenger door and the paint came out as glossy as factory new, so I can make her look really good with a little elbow grease.
  • Engine runs, I don't see any blue or white smoke, and she moves forwards and backwards under her own power.
  • The leather interior, while dirty, is hole and tear free and just needs a little Leather Honey to be factory fresh looking.
  • Although its missing a catalytic converter, as mentioned above it came with the $800 Magnaflow catalytic converter set and pipes so that will be a free-to-me fix.

The Bad:
  • Due to the hacked up exhaust system from the converter theft, it's throwing a check engine code for all 4 O2 sensors (understandable)
  • Also throwing a misfire code, so fingers crossed its just in need of a tune up and not a stuck valve or otherwise major repair
  • Drivers side 2nd row window regulator went out, so the glass is taped up or else it falls down into the door
  • Back Door handle doesn't work. I'll have to take the door panel off and see what broke.
  • Both headlights are falling out, all the plastic bits that hold them in are dryrotted and broken. A fix kit is on the way.
  • Entire headliner is gone, looks like duct tape and silicone around the top of the windshield and all sunroof glass. Looks like it leaked once upon a time so someone got mad and ripped the headliner out and siliconed and taped everything in sight, and did an amateur hack job at that. To beat it all, I still see a few drops of water in the floor so they didn't even fix it!
  • Rear step is sagging, rear bumper light lenses are changing colors and darkening in the sun.

To summarize, she's got her flaws but appears to have good bones. Follow along as I fix her up, I'll be posting updates to this thread as I address the above issues and install upgrades.

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

excited to see where you take it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

excited to see where you take it
Thank you, good to be here!

Here's the update from yesterday:

Terrafirma +3" Coil Springs and +2" 4 way adjustable shocks were installed. Not a bad job, using the Land Rover bottle jack it was 2-1/2 hours total. Just used the bottle jack to simulate suspension flex, then plucked the old coils and dampers out and popped in the new coils and dampers. About as straight forward a suspension install I've ever done on a 4x4. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the Rover was to work on.

Step 1 was jacking up the front then putting the frame on jack stands to unload the suspension:

Next the bottle jack went in. With the shock unbolted top and bottom, the coil and damper more or less fell out out nice and easy.

Good comparison shot of the old spring height and coil winding thickness compared to the +3" heavy duty springs - What a difference!

New adjustable damping shock and heavy duty +3" spring.

Front end done, WOW what a difference in ride height and tire-to-arch clearance compared to the back!

Ready to start on the back:

The front was easy, but the back is a dream to work on. Removed the damper, unbolted the coil spring retaining strap, then inserted the bottle jack and the factory coil spring literally fell out and rolled across the floor. Loving this lift kit install!

New rear coil installed. Ran out of time, so new dampers will go on another day. Overall, extremely straightforward, quick, and easy suspension lift. I'm loving how easy it is to work on this beast so far!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Always good to see another ‘98 (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always good to see another ‘98 (y)
I'm in love so far, I hope you like yours as much as I likemine!

Where’s the before/after!?
Got the rear shocks on and finished it yesterday! :D

The front bumper cover and fog light valance was A) all faded and B) falling off (lots of broken mounting tabs and missing screws) so I just took everything off. Here's the before:

Here's after. What a difference!

I need to wash, wax, and buff her BAD but she still looks better now with a healthy 3" lift!

Next thing to do is fix the headlights, they kept falling out while taking these pictures!

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
Just noticing the chrome door handles and rear bumper. Is that an LSE? The front bumper was black and the caps (cap hehe) unpainted... I’m confused

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a productive weekend with the install of some nice new Crosswind M/T 235/85r16 tires for the Disco! She's really coming together. I still haven't washed her yet, but at least all that's left to do before I can start driving her is to fix the exhaust system. Making progress, not bad for a little $750 Disco!!

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
I love me a skinny tire on a disco!

-the guy with fat tires

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just noticing the chrome door handles and rear bumper. Is that an LSE? The front bumper was black and the caps (cap hehe) unpainted... I’m confused
There was a limited run of these in ‘98. Mine is the same way. They came with Boost wheels, chrome bumpers, silver door handles, silver insets on body trim, and Lightstone interior. Basically all the LSE stuff without the painted bumper and mirror caps.

Reactions: reverendALC

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
Yours has chrome front bumper tho, OP doesn’t. Might’ve been replaced

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.