Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Mexico nut for years, and I have always loved the look and the attitude of Land Rovers, though I've never owned one. They just LOOK tough and durable and utilitarian; they look like they can get the job done. Having had to ride out of canyons with alot less air in my tires than when I went INTO said canyon (I also love old VW buses and have had many, but deep off-road they are not), I always appreciated vehicles that didn't suffer those problems (like Land Rovers). I am now in a position to buy my 1st one, this week, and I want to know from you guys what YOU love and hate about them. ANY help you give is appreciated!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Baitboat....

I have been driving on the beach for the last 17 years... I have primarly been a Jeep (willy's, 65 CJ5, 95, 98, Wrangler) guy, until 2000.

The Land Rover runs the beach okay, with my pass I can bring the family which is great, handles okay too in the soft stuff.

The interior, which may be an odd thing to say, is almost too nice... What I mean, is maybe I am a knuckle head but I feel guilty getting it all $hitty full of sand on the interior... but I drive it as it should be, off-road.

One complaint, I have a series of cosmetic crap go wrong, busted cup holders, fog lights, seatbelt pretension holder...little stuff until the Cylinder stuff (see earlier post)...Also, I wish the seat would go back further...

I love my LR and since bought another, I will be a lifer, was a jeep guy for 12 years, since changed for the better....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curedude,
Thanks for getting back. As far as broken cosmetic stuff: I'm getting one used, so if something plastic is gonna break, it's already been broken. My chief concern is oil leaks (I've heard LR's have those more than a little bit...correct?) and mech. crap going wrong. From what I hear, most LR owners , like you, ARE lifers.

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Baitboat,

I just became a Land Rover Owner in Feb of this year and I love it. I will be a lifer as well. I have a 97 Disco SE7 with just over 109,000 miles on it. It runs strong, not a speed demon, but runs great. Knock on wood no oil leaks. Just had to have a steering Knuckle replaced and the rover dealer said that the Disco I have is a great one. Just take your time and find a good one there are plenty of them out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the opportunity (or the misfortune) of working on, and driving a lot of different vehicles through my life (mind you I'm 23), and on top of that have always had jeeps around (most recently my '85 CJ-7). I feel confident in saying the Land Rovers I've owned have been the most well thought out, purpose built rigs I've seen. They're simple to work on and just plain make sense as far as design. The only complaint I've ever had is that if you break on the trail with a jeep, chances are good that there's another jeep nearby with the tool or part you need. I lost a whole Moab trip one year because of a broken axle the first day in my '95 Defender 90. This however, is only really a problem in the US. Point is... you can't go wrong with a Rover. :cool:

·
4,576 Posts
Baitboat, I'm 18 and i too have gone through 4 cars already. I've always been a car FREEAKK...(not even fanatic...FREAK, im obsessed)...I've owned 2 Mustangs ( 65 and a 71 Mach which is sitting out on the driveway waiting for a buyer) and an Acura Legend. This is my first 4-wheel drive vehicle and i must say that I am no longer just obsessed with the speed and highperformance aspect of cars, now I'm also beginning to deviate from the road and going off into the trails with my rover.
I've always been a fan of the Land Rover name (who hasn't) but until i finally got a 96 Disco SE, i now know why statistics show that MOST land rover owners in the US take theirs off road. What a machine!!...It's marvelous. They way the engine has JUST enough power to get you through the thick, or to pass that old lady driving that oldsmobile on the highway. It does have its problems. And yess i do have oil leaks (nothing serious, valvecover gasket) but it's these problems that lead me to doing my research on how to fix them and in turn, become more attached to it.
If you're going to own one, try to do as much of the work on it yourself and you'll see what i mean. Before the rover i had NO idea Coil Packs existed, or Swivel Balls. I am definately a Lifer and am now looking for a 95 Range Rover for evening use because the Disco will be way to aggresive looking for going out to dinner, even though it's always fun to make head turn with it. And with all the upgrades available, you can practicaly live in/on your rover. Even though the Rover enthusiasts aren't 110% thrilled about the LR3, it's still a rover and it totally deserves the Car and Driver SUV of the Year award. :buttrock: ................ did i mention that i love my rover!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, guys.
Thanks for the input. You pretty much confirmed what I had heard throughout the years. I'll tell you something more than a little bit "disturbing, yet funny": Down in Baja I've seen all kinds of trucks that were either made for off-road (Jeeps, Land Rovers, etc) or tinkered with to BECOME off road vehicles (a Ford Ranger with flared fenders and an impromptu roll cage). I've seen theses trucks out in the middle of nowhere with alot of rough terrain SURROUNDING "nowhere". And while these dudes are unloading their surfboards, congradulating themselves on their off-road prowess, a low-to-the-ground, beat-up old 1984 Ford LTD station wagon driven by grandpa and loaded with a bunch of happy Mexican kids pulls up to the beach. It happens all the time and cracks me up every time. Anyway, my point is that, along with the definate advantage of having a vehicle like a Rover that's designed to drive off-road well, I also know that it doesn't mean a thing if the DRIVER can't drive off-road well, too.
Thanks again for the input. If you can think of any thing else, that would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing that I'd like to get your opinion on. Like you guys with your deep appreciation for Rovers, I am a VW bus nut, and I have dealt with MANY an oil leak ("If a bus isn't leaking oil, then there ain't any oil IN it"). But that was before I broke my back (roofing fall) and became a paraplegic. I am very independant (just got back from a desert camping trip last week) but NOT as flexable as I was 3 years ago, pre-accident. Anyway, IF I needed to tinker with the Rover UNDERNEATH, do I have a prayer? Mind you: I AM pretty mobile, getting on the floor, monkeying around in the garden. I still surf, but on a kayak- in other words: I'm not a sloth in bed all day.
Whattaya think??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
apbtpetey said:
Baitboat,

I just became a Land Rover Owner in Feb of this year and I love it. I will be a lifer as well. I have a 97 Disco SE7 with just over 109,000 miles on it. It runs strong, not a speed demon, but runs great. Knock on wood no oil leaks. Just had to have a steering Knuckle replaced and the rover dealer said that the Disco I have is a great one. Just take your time and find a good one there are plenty of them out there.
What did the stearing knuckle set you back? (cost-wise)Was it a big hassle? (Were you greatly inconvenieced by it??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.