Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 disco with 104,000 miles. Its engine refused to start today. Could someone please tell me what likely be the problem for this disco with this many miles on this engine? The engine turned over but would not start. What likely be the problem for a 2002 DISCO with 104,000 miles;
1) fuel pump? how do i check to see if the fuel pump is working? where do i open up a fuel line to see if gas is pumped through, or measure to see if fuel pressure is sufficient?
2) Ignition? which part do I need to replace besides the spark plugs and spark plug wires? spark plug wires were place about 5K miles ago.
3) other reason?:confused

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. HArry

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
When was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone plug wires? Has it ever acted like this or tried to stall before?
The most common issue in the summer that could cause this is a bad crank sensor which can shut of the fuel or spark or both/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DiscoMike, Thanks so much for getting back with me . Plug wires were replaced about 15 miles ago. Spark plugs were not replaced at the time. It sounded like it either is not getting spark or fuel. I do not know which one of the two yet. I just removed the crank position sensor, and it appeared to be relatively clean from the oil and grease. Is there a way to check to see if it is electrically good or bad? which fuel inlet hose is the best to remove and test for fuel throughput or pressure test? Once I open a fuel line, what is the procedure to bleed the air out ? Thanks a million for your generous support! Harry

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes, if you are fairly electrical/mechanical. My money in on that sensor, no mater how clean it may be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Success and Thank You DiscoMIke

DiscoMike,
Thank you so much for your wisdom and support. The problem was the crank position sensor. I fortunately have a new crank position sensor and decided to replace the suspect bad crank sensor in the car. The new sensor went in and the engine started right up!!! I did test the ohm resistance between the plug terminals of the old crank position sensor and that of the new crank position sensor. There was a difference in ohm measurements between the two sensors. The reading between the two end pins of the crank sensor plug of the new CPS was measured at 0.9 K ohm. The reading of the old CPS was open - no reading. Since there was a difference in the ohm resistance reading, I decided to replace the old sensor with the new CPS which I bought and kept it on the shelf for 5 years despite the fact that the old sensor appeared to be relatively very clean. I enclosed a couple of pictures of the old sensor to show how clean it looked and a picture of the sensor plug showing the three pins. The ohm resistance reading was taken between the two pins on the right side of the plug, facing the plug. Notice the plug is positioned with the catch notch on the bottom. Hope this helps to those who may have similar problem. Thanks for your help DiscoMIke.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts