Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the group...

My wife just called complaining about the steering being difficult in our 95 disco, sounded to me like it was cavitating/pump problems. A few minutes later I get a call saying that there was a "horrible" noise from underneath, it wont move and and putting it in park wont hold it, so now I'm thinking transmission is likely gone as well as perhaps the steering. (doesnt rain it pours!):mad:

The long and short of this is it needs towing somewhere, I live about 230 km's from the nearest dealer (Edmonton AB) and all there is locally is a Ford and Dodge dealer. I think my autoclub membership will tow it to the LR dealer, but I'm wondering if this is the type of thing that a local shop can handle, or am I better off going to the dealer?

Also, I know this is going to hurt $$$ wise, anyone got an idea what a trans will set me back? I'm pretty sure it was actually replaced not long before we bought it about a year ago, but I dont think it was by a dealer and will have to dig out the paperwork, so in any case I'm preparing myself for worst case scenario...

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
321 Posts
geln, if your in edmonton call up mark at www.roverparkboys.com they're located in edmonton and have great prices on parts.. i don't know if they do repairs there or not but ask them or see if he knows a indie repair guy... stay away from the dealer at all costs
good luck
sam

sorry their number is 780 490 8030

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll do just that. I just got off the phone to the dealer and he said that by the sounds of the way my wife described it it could be one of the front CV joints or shafts, so my fingers are crossed! I do like to avoid dealers when I can, but thats just my preference.

In any case, thanks for the link and number, I'll be checking them out next!

Glen

·
Registered
8 Posts
a very similar experience with a range rover!

i just experienced the very same thing in my 88 range rover! the most curious observation was the fact that it wouldn't hold in park. i had to move my RR off the street by using the central differential lock (i don't think it's available in the Discovery). see the thread.
http://landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640
there is a good link to a range rover site but still useful: www.okierover.com

good luck!

lostinidaho

·
Registered
3 Posts
dent said:
geln, if your in edmonton call up mark at www.roverparkboys.com they're located in edmonton and have great prices on parts.. i don't know if they do repairs there or not but ask them or see if he knows a indie repair guy... stay away from the dealer at all costs
good luck
sam

sorry their number is 780 490 8030
Hi, I live in Fort McMurray and just bought a 1995 Disco. (really happy with it). I was just looking through some posts and noticed this, does this mean I should avoid the dealer too? I may have future needs to get Land Rover support and having been burnied previously by the dealer on my Toyota, I'm always ready for tips from other owners! Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update -

Hey Longsghot - Mark at roverparkboys.com managed to get me an axle, new rotors, new bearings, new seals and new pads for less than the cost of an axle at the dealer!

Anyway, I had the local ford dealer replace my axle, and less than a week later it's doing what it was when it broke, so I have it in the city now (edmonton) getting looked at by a shop Mark recommended, as of now I still dont know whether it was a poor install by the for dealer, faulty axle or ?? They are just tearing it down this afternoon.

I'll keep you all posted...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glen, am glad Mark too care of you... he's a good guy.
Longshot. I guess it's a matter of preference and such. Personally whenever i go to a dealer to get work done on any car, i feel like i should just pull my pants down and bend over as that's what i feel like happened after I look at their bill for labour and parts. 99.99999% of the time, I know i could source the parts a lot cheaper and their labour rates is just crazy.
If you have the know how or you're mechanically inclined, most of the job one can do in your garage or driveway. plus there's abit of pride that you did it yourself too :)
Another reason is i'm a cheap bastard :)
take care
sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
follow up

Well, it turns out that the new axle is gone because of lack of fluid at the hub end, the shop I have it at now said that there was likely not enough put in in the first place, and a bad seal that should have been replaced was not. I talked to the Ford dealer and they are saying they did all that they should have, and at this point it looks like they are trying to absolve themselves from any responsibility.

I have to drive to the city tonight so I'm going to stop at the shop and get the details first hand, then talk to the local Ford dealer again.

This should be fun.... :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts