Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the news. I posted about the throwout bearing wrecking the trani. The correlation betweeen the two was maybee no transmission fluid was put back in after the throwout was replaced causing the trani issues. Now that does not seem to be the case.
But here is what was found wrong with the truck.
I am writting everything as it appears on the computer print out I was given yesterday.

1. Transmission conearn:
transmission bearings very noisey, 2nd gear syncro bad, will require trani overhaul or replacement to repair.

2. ABS concearn:
Anti-lock light is on, sensor bad. Will need new sensor to repair

3. Oli Leak:
Engine has numerous leaks, valve cover gasket, oil pan reseal, front and rear crankshaft seals, oil cooler line, and drain plug

4. Tire concearn:
All tires are dry rotted (how can I confirm this)???

After reading this all comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If any of you have had any of this work done could you post prices you paid.
p.s. go easy new owner and new to the site.

· Banned
907 Posts
1: Not sure

2: ABS light is common. Make sure all the sensors are pluged in, and seated. Depending on the year of your truck, depends on how to reset the light.

3: VERY common. If it's not leaking, something is wrong.

4: Are they cracking?

· Banned
907 Posts
oceanswithin said:
Hank
Should I try to have these leaks fixed or is it a game of fix and leak fix and leak?
You can try.....The gaskets are not costly at all really. Try Nathan Crabtree at www.discountbritishparts.com for your parts. Other than the rear oil main, the stuff is pretty simple to fix. I would start with the front oil main and valve covers. If the front oil main IS leaking, it can make everything else look as though it is leaking too, like the oil coolers lines. Fix the oil main and covers first, clean everthing the best you can, and give it a few days...

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Stealership told me I needed a new rear main,,,yeah right. I cleaned off engine & looked like valve cover. So I'm at an indie shop for something totally different and the tech tightens up the bolt on the valve cover. Talk about feeling stupid,,,, never even thought about it, too busy thinking more complex problems. They were about 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose !!!!!!! Just an idea. Much cheaper than replacing seals.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Where did you get the printout from. Is it from a dealership? If so, bypass them. If there is a concern about the transmission, find a local automatic transmission shop to have a look/repair it. The dealer will more than likely, not repair it themselves and will send it to an independent anyway, in which case you will end up paying twice the price.

The ABS sensor/s do have a tendency to get a little loose and set off your light. Get to them and adjust. It's quite easy. This may be all that it needs.

The oil issues you have seem to be covered by the other posts.

With regards to your tires, I would think your treads would have worn out long before you suffered from tire rot.

· Registered
33 Posts
My Throw out when to pot. I got the clutch and bearing for Paddock in England $130 ???
I changed the box too while I was at it, as the 2nd gear syncro was shot and 3rd was on its way-out Why remove the box to change a throw out you might as well replace the lot while its all out. You’ll only be taking it out again later.
Got the box from Rovers down south $1300, and my shop fitted the lot for $900.
Syncro going out on these 5 speeds is not uncommon when the miles get high. Most of the time it’s caused from its past owners shifting it like a Porsche or any other sports car for that matter.
If you’re going to keep the truck and you can find someone to rebuild it do it. I couldn’t find anyone that would do it for less than a $1000 so I when the rebuilt option.
You can get boxes from Ashcroft in England for around $800 but then you have to ship the old one back. Look at rangerover.net they have some info.
I’ve done this job myself years ago on my Cousins Disco. Trust me it’s a pain in the ass you don’t want to go there the box is fringing heavier than hell.

As for leaks cranking things down would always stop leaks for the cost and ease of doing the job change the value cover gaskets and any others if you can

And I still get a rumble from my Throw out on idle in Neutral

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.