Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm very interested in how you did it, I like to do it the same as yours, do you have the measurements, the drawings to follow? Thank you

Alright, I made some more good progress in the last couple days. I made the side and back panel for the large storage section, as well as a top, and got the whole unit bolted in. The side panel was a bit of a pain to get perfect because it had to be cut to the shape of the wheel well (lots of cutting, test-fitting, repeat). I’m trying to use factory mounts as much as possible, so I used the upper seat belt bolt, a seat bolt, a panel screw, and a cargo d ring to secure it to the truck (making my own brackets where necessary to make this possible). I also painted it with some house paint I had. Here’s the result so far:
View attachment 93072
Note the bracket holding the upper portion of the cabinets to the upper seat belt bolt above the window. Unfortunately, the depth of the cabinet means I can’t use the factory door panel for the door behind the cabinet, as the cabinet sticks out too far and keeps the door from closing, so I’ll have to figure something out for that. It closes fine with room to spare without the door panel on, so I’ve left it off for now. Now that this side is bolted into place, I can also begin measuring for the bench side. It has been coming along surprisingly well so far - it’s like the Disco was made to be converted into a camper. The floor in the back behind the footwell is almost perfectly flat aside from the wheel wells, and there are mounting holes and bolts everywhere to attach everything. The rear sunroof will also be nice to use as a vent when I’m cooking and when sleeping to keep it from getting too humid or stale inside, and the plethora of glass makes it really light and airy inside.
I think I’ll start on the bench side tomorrow. Or maybe I’ll figure out the door panel situation. Not sure yet. Either way, I’ll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Hi, I'm very interested in how you did it, I like to do it the same as yours, do you have the measurements, the drawings to follow? Thank you
Nope. Just kinda winged it. I started with an idea in my head and just kind of visualized everything in my head. If I were to have plans, it’s not something I would have followed, rather, something I made afterwards, being that it’s a constant work in progress. I’d suggest coming up with a plan that suits your use case and building your own design. Read through this, watch the linked videos (both mine and others, for inspiration) and come up with your own plan that fits your use case best.

Reactions: masantschi

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Made a quick little video today going over the curtains I made.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Got the curtains finished up today, including a big one that goes across behind the front seats. It's nice and dark with all of them installed at night, and makes it much more private back there, which is perfect for camping in parking lots or in crowded campgrounds.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
So, it's been a little over a year since I finished the build, so I put a YouTube video together highlighting what I like and what I want to change or don't like after a year of using it.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I am in the company of greatness!

I have wanted to do door panels like that for years!

You have inspired me to begin!

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I am in the company of greatness!

I have wanted to do door panels like that for years!

You have inspired me to begin!
Nice!
The metal ones or replacing the inserts?
Metal ones are pretty simple, and I went over them in this thread around post #18 on the first page. If you want more details let me know and I will be happy to provide. The thread where I re-did the suede door panel inserts can be found here.

Reactions: PTSchram
101 - 109 of 109 Posts