Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem even happen to you?

I was driving my 2000 Disco today on the freeway and it just shut off.
The check engine lights and oil and coolent lights lit up but the temp gauge was fine and mid level just as usual. No smoke or leaking fluids. Nothing.
It just shut off.
I tried to turn it back on but it just turned over and over and never ignited.

I waited on the side of the road for ten minutes and checked my fluids but they were fine.
Then I tried her againa and she started rt up, I shrugged at my wife and we continued on to her company picnic.

Fast Fwd.
We are driving home and about 5 miles in at the worst part of the 92/60 interchange it stalls again.
There is construction going on so there is no emergency lane.
I dial AAA and they take forever to get through to a tow truck, then it happens, some Ahole smashes my drivers mirror. The mirror popped off teh bracket but didnt break and the plastic housing seems to be in tact. I was irate. Called the CHP and that was to no avail. The idiot in the Lexus RX 330 just cruised on with nothing to say.

So anyhow, my truck is at the mechanics and I am guessing it was a fule problem, like the fule pump or somthing was clogged or dead.
After I had it towed, I was able to once again turn it back on so it is as iff once the engine gets too hot it will just stall.

Any ideas guys? :dunno: :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The relays, are they really expensive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had that problem with my Dodge Avenger. It was called a "crank, failure to ignite" as per the dealer. It was the ignition relay on the firewall. Fast forward.....I installed an aftermarket stereo system and when they connected the battery, it was never grounded properly. It was creating too much heat. Easy fix and no more stalling on the highway.

Now how does this transfer over to a Land Rover, is the question. I am of course new to Land Rovers. The battery is housed in the front and is nowhere near the relays (I'm guessing). But I would find your ignition relay and see if the wires are loose. This is what, I saw with my problem. It was always loose. It was a problem that went on for about a year until I finally figured it out.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on my 97 Disco, problem turned out to be a bad connection on the fuel pump relay. on a S1 it is located in the back part of the firewall next to the ECU.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so far for these ideas.

I have a after market stereo as well and wonder which relay it is going to be.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of a 104 looky lous I got 2 responses, but I appreciate those 2 bigtime. Thanks.

It is being looked at today by my LV mechanic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sucks.

Looks like it is the fuel pump and it is going to run 600 plus.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GriffSC said:
Sucks all the way around! Best to keep an eye out for that Lexus... beating the f'er to a pulp will likely assuage some of your ire.

Naw, I never drive that freeway and this is Southern CA, there are tons of those RX 330 around.

Besides my records clean again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roverX said:
Did you call Nathan @ Discount Rovers? 1-(502)-876-8377
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like this guy might be 60 bucks cheaper, but my mechanic is double checking the parts numbers to make sure im not just getting my hopes up.

360vs420 from my mechanics parts guy.

The rest of the 600 quoted is the labor.

Frizzle fraggin, damn I wish I was mechanicly inclined.

Anything near the fuel pump I should have replaced while they are in that deep?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hailsharky said:
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like this guy might be 60 bucks cheaper, but my mechanic is double checking the parts numbers to make sure im not just getting my hopes up.

360vs420 from my mechanics parts guy.

The rest of the 600 quoted is the labor.

Frizzle fraggin, damn I wish I was mechanicly inclined.

Anything near the fuel pump I should have replaced while they are in that deep?
If you don't mind, I would like to offer a couple suggestions:

#1 Bookmark www.car-part.com for all of your expensive part needs. Nathan is the man at getting new parts, but in a budget pinch, car-part.com is the bomb. I scored a 2001 transfer case for my 2000 D2 with 31K miles for $350. I now have CDL :buttrock:

#2 I am having a hardtime understanding why your mechanic is charging you $240 for labor since the D2 fuel pump / sending unit / filter is all one major assembly located inside your fuel cell. Pull the rear cargo area carpet, pop the cover, and change the assembly out. Of course, I don't reccomend smoking. If I am mistaken, please le me know.....

#3 The filter is technically not a filter on a D2. WTF? Actually it is a multi-layered screen that surrounds the entire unit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roaming_Pig said:
If you don't mind, I would like to offer a couple suggestions:

#1 Bookmark www.car-part.com for all of your expensive part needs. Nathan is the man at getting new parts, but in a budget pinch, car-part.com is the bomb. I scored a 2001 transfer case for my 2000 D2 with 31K miles for $350. I now have CDL :buttrock:

#2 I am having a hardtime understanding why your mechanic is charging you $240 for labor since the D2 fuel pump / sending unit / filter is all one major assembly located inside your fuel cell. Pull the rear cargo area carpet, pop the cover, and change the assembly out. Of course, I don't reccomend smoking. If I am mistaken, please le me know.....

#3 The filter is technically not a filter on a D2. WTF? Actually it is a multi-layered screen that surrounds the entire unit.

RE: question 2, my mechanic charges very fair prices and is usually half the price of my old dealership. I dont know how else to anwser your Q, but thanks for looken out man.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Dang man, if only fuel prices weren't so high and I need to rebuild my front end sooner than I think, I'd do it for you. Let's see... there was one more reason why I can't drive to SoCal this weekend... hmmm... oh yeah, gettin' laid this weekend. That's what happens when the ladies know you're a sure thing... :D

But seriously, I'd bet you could do it even if you are not very mechanically inclined. I do a lot of stuff myself and I am in no way mechanically inclined. Sure, I'm good at taking stuff apart, especially after a few beers but ask me how to put it together...that's another story. I have to make notes and draw stuff out to remember how to put it back together.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Muchobliged.

Good for you on getting someone to go to the submarine races with you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.