Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving the other night and I had a kind of revelation... I love my land rover. Despite the fact that my windows work on their own terms and my rear sunroof leaks and I have alternator whine because of my factory amp I love my disco. I've owned jeeps and they suck, they can be fun but you can't just enjoy driving one. There is something very cool about the fact that we own vehicles that are these gracious machines that have amazing power and ability looming behind their polished exterior. I also like the fact that I can hear my music and it doesn't drive like crap (in comparison to my old wranglers)... that is the end of my revelation... please don't make fun of me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
is the whine directly from the alternator or the speakers? Possibly as bad ground. Might want to inspect where the amp is grounded, sand down the metal if it's on a bad ground.

·
Registered
321 Posts
thomas_lamb said:
behind their polished exterior.
polished exterior? what's that? ;) wished mine was polished..... :(
completly agree with you though... with the little problems that keeps popping up, the wee things that would drive other truck owners crazy ( endless oil leaks ) i still love my truck :)

·
MG
771 Posts
I have to warn you that you have taken that one step past "the point of no return" - I think that everyone in LRO has had the type of epiphany you describe. Henceforth, your wife / girlfriend / partner is going to have share you, you’ll notice subtle hints of jealousy from “da boys”, and you’ll take to looking at other modes of transportation as mundane, an evil necessity.

Wait ‘til you decide that your Disco has a right to be more than stock (the mod bug) – that’s worse!

Welcome!

Make fun of you, indeed!

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Unfortunately, my epiphany came when I test drove the car. Luckily my wife was cool with takin it home, cause there was no way I was going to leave without it. Hooked from the moment my ass hit the seat.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
thomas_lamb said:
I've regrounded that thing multiple times.... I've just goten to the point where I make sure that the music is a lot louder than the whine
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... that is how many problems are fixed.....
I think everyone here is with ya!!!! We are all hooked hopelessly on our rovers

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have similar thoughts towards my disco, I love the damn thing but I don't know anyone else that could or would put up with its "Character" know what i mean....

It just one of those things that just seems right when all is well, and sometimes when its not. I mean when the check engine lights blinks on I just smile and think to myself that I must have done something to upset her but I know she will watch out for me anyway. Like an old friend, and good times

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
does your sunroof leak when it is open.

if it is most likely the sunroof drain is clogged.

really common on any sunroof on any car.

and it it leaks when its closed you need a new seal.

check the dealer they might have a new one for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all

I have had my disco for over just one year it’s a 200 tdi built in 93 it’s the only colour it should be that’s green it got all the faults a 93 should have bubbly paint oil leeks (if it don’t leek it means it wants filling again) the passenger side sill was rotten as a peach (don’t forget I come from England and we drive on the right side of the road) the floor in the rear should be rotten through but if you don’t lift the carpet you will never know! I have fitted lots of bits to it most made by yours truly and the other costing more than they should do.

It’s started to make a strange noise about 30 miles an hour and a bit of a grinding come vibration at 55 miles per hour. But I have just had a holiday that I will never forget I covered over 2500 miles through England into the French Alps into Italy and then into Switzerland covering some beautiful mountain roads and breath taking scenery I go out green laneing in the UK when ever I can and love every minute of it.

But the electrics go wrong when they want to the back diff rusted through it doesn’t have sun roofs so they don’t leek but water comes in any way its done 143,000 miles and still pulls like a train and does just under 30 to the gallon on the alps trip.

And do you know what I love it (this letter does come from a complete mad man living in the fair county of Nottinghamshire)

But if it wasn’t for the mad men who would buy them.

Hope you have a nice day and a fantastic life.

Thank all, from Arightpest

Ps if you are in the UK lets get muddy give me a ring 01623 450795

·
Registered
302 Posts
appstatedisco said:
is the whine directly from the alternator or the speakers? Possibly as bad ground. Might want to inspect where the amp is grounded, sand down the metal if it's on a bad ground.
Not to hijack, but I have the same problem. What would be the next step if it's not a bad ground?

Oh, and epiphanies... mine came when it left me stranded when the alternator just flatlined. :confused No bouncing tach needle, nothing, Just Pffft. But then it got me home from my gf's lake house 80 miles away with a broken CV joint. It drove like ass below 30 mph, but just fine at 50+. :rellye Went straight to the shop as soon as I got into Houston, but it still surprised the hell out of me. :eek:

Yeah, I'm keeping this truck for a long time, quirks and all. :beer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stupid me, I had no idea that there was a 6 disc factory changer in my disco until I went exploring behind the kick plate under my passenger sear, so I had the people at bestbuy unistall the aftermarket cd player that they did an aweful job installing. They gave me a full refund even though the face was allready scratched.... god bless large retail return policies! That factory system sounds just fine to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.