Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serg

I have also bought my first Range Rover. A 1994 Classic 3.9 Vogue SE The Car has been ‘Cosseted’ by the two previous owners, and everything works, except the Central Locking Mechanism; however, I suspect that there is a bad earth connection somewhere! A Gynaecologist friend is coming over at the weekend to try and find the Central Locking Controller in the Steering Column! It has 192,000 Kms (120,000 Miles), but still drives like a dream! — Both On-Road, and Off-Road! The engine is very smooth and quiet, despite the mileage, and the same applies to the Automatic Gearbox (No ‘Clunks or Whining!’) This is a testimony to the maxim of ‘Change the Oil Regularly! — Especially in Hot Climates such as Dubai!’

Back in 1986 in the UK I had the unfortunate experience of driving one for a couple of weeks; while a colleague was on leave. Apart from the ‘Unquenchable Thirst For Petrol,’ The car ‘Wallowed’ like a 2CV, and had an annoying ‘Whine’ from the Transfer Box. Selecting ‘Low Ratio’ produced sounds from a Stockhausen Opera! — I found the whole experience tiring; even on the shortest of journeys.

Previously, I have owned two Jeep Wranglers, and a Cherokee Classic, so have an experience of Four Wheel Drives, and Off-Road Driving, especially here in the Middle East! — And you do not much more basic than a Jeep Wrangler!

Whilst the 1994 Range Rover ‘Fits the Bill,’ it is a testimony to its British Leyland Heritage! Essentials include the Steering Wheel from a Leyland Sherpa Van (I think); Indicator Stalks from an Austin Maestro/Montego; Panel Switches from a Mini Metro; Door Handles from a 1972 Morris Marina; and Air Vents from an SD1 Rover! — The List Continues! Even reading the Workshop Manual, I find that earlier models have a Carburettor System from a 1974 Austin 2200 (Another Prized Possession of mine during Student Days!) The Dashboard is an ‘Ergonomic Mess!’ But at least it has a little more character than a Toyota Corolla Hire Car!

I hope that DXB 45358 Will be around for a long time to come!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bob you dont say what the remote is or isnt doing? If when the button is pressed it only flashes the indicators once then the batteries in the hand set need changing, to do this remove the old batteries and then press the button for 10 seconds, replace with new batteries and all should be well. On occasions it can lock and unlock the doors but still set alarm. This one is possibly down to one of the door catches being faulty. They have a small spring that sets the catch and they become week, unfortunately you cant buy the spring seperate it has to be the whole catch, unless some one knows better. BAZZ. :drive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts