Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas

Not a good day today!!!

My Freelander went crazy last night... The engine went off and it was difficult to start it again, the minimum rpm was unstable...I finnally got home.

This morning I went down to the garage to open the hood and...here comes the bad news...the coolant looks like CAPUCCINO!!!, and the deposit was empty...capuccino all over the place...and on top of that!!! NO OIL in the engine, NOTHING!!!

So someone told me the coolant and the motor oil can be mixed if the cams are broken, or the rings, or something like that!!!

What can you advise me to do!!! Apart from not starting the engine again, is it normal ?, what should have been the problem ?, would it be expensive?

:dunno: I´m Lost guys...Need your feedback

I have a Freelander SE3 1.8 Petrol....1999!!!

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
The Pope said:
Hi Fellas

Not a good day today!!!

My Freelander went crazy last night... The engine went off and it was difficult to start it again, the minimum rpm was unstable...I finnally got home.

This morning I went down to the garage to open the hood and...here comes the bad news...the coolant looks like CAPUCCINO!!!, and the deposit was empty...capuccino all over the place...and on top of that!!! NO OIL in the engine, NOTHING!!!

So someone told me the coolant and the motor oil can be mixed if the cams are broken, or the rings, or something like that!!!

What can you advise me to do!!! Apart from not starting the engine again, is it normal ?, what should have been the problem ?, would it be expensive?

:dunno: I´m Lost guys...Need your feedback

I have a Freelander SE3 1.8 Petrol....1999!!!

In Any regular car this means that you got a bad head gasket. that = $$ espetialy if you drove for some good distance and got the eng. temp HIGH. add more $$$$

Usually I heard that the price for a head gastek job in "Main St. Mechanic Shop" is from $600 to $1000 for a car with timing belt .

Now I have no clue how much the SATAN will charge you .

Good luck .

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Scrap the 1.8 right off. You should be able to find plenty of 2.5 or if you're ambitious, and handy, put a used TD4 in
1.8s of your year had notorious head gasket problems.

When we go to the BVI, we rent the 2.5 5 speed that belongs to the wife of the Land Rover garage there. It's is a goin fool and a real mountain goat on those hills. Now if I could only get his son to rent me his 110 300tdi HiCap.

· Registered
110 Posts
Head gasket if you are lucky - new head most likely and the cylinder liners dropped meaning new engine

Sorry but this is the typical failure of the 1.8 engine - there are plenty of posts on Freelander forums on this. You might be able to get some help from Landrover but they are just ignoring the problem.

Any replacement 1.8 engine will sooner or later have the same problem - even new engines do it.

Putting in a 2.5 will mean gearbox and drive train as well, new wiring and computers and matching or replacing the ABS computer and security computer as they all talk to each other. Same applies to the TD4.

If you go with an L series diesel as fitted to the 98/99 cars then only the engine will be required - they come up on e-bay UK sometimes. But again wiring, computers and changing to a diesel fuel system will all be complictions.

My recommendation and I suspect the cheapest - get a good second hand 1.8 engine from a wrecker and put it in the car then sell straight away and buy a TD4 auto.

Sorry I cannot be more optimistic but this is an expensive well known problem in all the cars that have the 1.8 engine - Lotus, MGF, Freelander and Rover.

Garry

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Not good...I hope it is only the head gasket..... if more you might get by with new heads...more than likely a new engine may be needed... Sorry bud!

· Registered
64 Posts
I agree with Funrover, more likely new engine, your not the first and certainly wont be the last. I think i've said in this forum before, theres a 99 freelander in the dealership where I work, 54k on the clock, FSS etc etc. Engine slowed and the car stopped, puff of blue smoke, new engine please ! Simple as that.
My advice for what its worth, replace or fix the engine and GET RID !!!!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am LUCKY BASTARD!!!

Sup FELLAS

Remember my "Not that optimistic problem"??

I have engaged an old friend of mine who repairs LR´s and he has unmounted the whole Cylinder head assembly and everything was perfect!!!

The problem was the gasket cylinder head...it has a couple of side guides or studs that comes originally made of PLASTIC...and one of those was rotten...so that´s why I have got the oil and the coolant mixed.

Just wanted to point out that those guides or studs comes in plastic originally but when I bought the parts they come in metal...so I guess that could be the main reason of this model problem, but at least they seem to fix that by replacing the material.

MERRY CHRISTMAS PALS!!!

:wave:

Hippo said:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.