Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Does it have an Ipod thingey?
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have not posted in a while, but...

My 2006 LR3 is leaking oil... and in a not so comforting fashion...

A few months ago I took it in to get a service and to replace a broken radio unit. They did the usual oil and filter stuff. After having it back I noticed it was dripping all over my driveway.

Brought it back in and they had it for the day. When I picked it up service said they fixed the leaks. Invoice states: Cause: Replaced leaking oil filter housinggasket. R&R Oil filter housing and repl leaking housing seal. Checked for oil leaks. Inspected under chassis. Found oil in numerous places. Added oil dye to oil. Cleaned adjacent areas. Found oil cooler leaking at gasket. Installed new gasket and topped off oil.

Two days later, and I am leaking oil worse than before. It is saturating and dripping from the steal cross beam about 2 feet back from the front wheels where the engine/trans meet. So I take it back, and service says to leave it overnight...

He calls me later that afternoon to tell me that it is leaking from some engine pan/plate gasket and that the engine must be taken out of the truck, flipped upside down and repaired... ok, I say. They have the car a week.

Now, after having the car back from them for a week after this fix... It's leaking again in the same way and in the same place! Saturating and dripping from the steel cross beam where the engine/trans meet. Also, a small klunk in the transmission is now present when I put my foot on the accelerator after having decelerated, just as the car first begins to accelerate.

I bought it from this Land Rover dealer who is servicing it, as a certified pre-owned with 16K on it. It seems to be seeing the service people a lot between all the leaks, broken radio, suspension faults, replaced compressor and height sensors, etc.

Anybody out there have any ideas or experience with such a leak?

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leaks

No clue... gonna bring it back to the dealership this afternoon. Guess the engine out of the car trick didn't do it the last time around...

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crankshaft cap

Thanks tom! Service says they only replaced the crankshaft cap gasket last time... we will see... now all I picture is my warranty expiring in september of 2010.... boo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning to all.
Discovery 3 with TDV6 2008 160.000 KMs.
Most time inoperative, on repairs.
Expatriat ,living in Angola , without any local support.
I do all repairs on my car, mechanical and electronics, but the most difficult was a surely, a oil leak.
After months repairing all leaks, Turbo, steering, motor pan, etc, I found on the oil filter block, behind, a metal joint leaking.
This leak is very difficult to detect, cause only after 1 liter spilling , starts leaking for the floor.
For the access to this unit, you must disassemble 1/2 motor.:(
Sorry my English... not too good.
I will send some pictures .
But think finally I was detected last leak.

Regards,
Paulo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts