Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my second 88 Range Rover. It was such a good deal I couldnt pass it up. The first mod you notice is the entire hood top is sprayed in bedliner. The hood was bent/dented, so after I fixed it-instead of matching paint- I spayed it in bedliner. I will be putting the spare tire on the hood, so this will keep from scratching it up. The headlights are H4 conversion projector/halo lights. I have them wired so the halos work as the day-time running lights. The truck had no front bumper when I got it, but I am in the process of building one.

The suspension was replaced with 1" lift springs. I have a set of Toddco billet lift spacers waiting to go on. I will be putting on some 265/75/16s on after the lift.

You will probably see all of my posts in the wanted section because this truck is needing a few things:)

It isnt as scratched as it looks in a few of the pics; it is covered in dust from sanding the hood.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
That is very creative using bedliner for the hood! If you notice in a picture of my hood here, it has rusted through most of the front lip. When I get another hood, I should consider applying bedliner to the hood instead of a green single-stage enamel, cause I will be doing some vigrous off-road cruising. Very cool!

Oh and where did you learn body work? I learned from one of my auto instructors in high school, taught me metal straightening, body filler, painting, etc.. Really cool stuff!:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Green hoods are easy to find, so replacing yours should be easy. I have never seen another RR the color of mine. I taught myself body work. I started out doing fiberglass repairs(on jetskis), and went from there.

I used a dremel tool with a reinforced cut-off wheel to trim the front edge of the fenders...it goes through aluminum like butter. The front grille and rear bumper are also sprayed in bedliner.

It needs drivers side exterior and interior door hanles and a window regulator. The console was broken but I build a new one and covered in black vinyl. I also built a piece to replace the piece around the shifter and a filler for the radio handle;also covered in vinyl. I will have some pictures of these things soon.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Very cool! I admire when someone teaches themselves a really useful talent. I taught myself how to sketch cars, I should post pics of my Rover sketches. :D I'm learning on my own right now to play the guitar, and start jamming with my rommmate. :buttrock:

Very cool stuff! :buttrock:

·
Registered
249 Posts
RageRover said:
:D I'm learning on my own right now to play the guitar, and start jamming with my rommmate. :buttrock:

Very cool stuff! :buttrock:
Yes, we have another guitar player on the board:buttrock: :clap:

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Explorer4x4 said:
and another.... I am 23 and have been playing since I was 14.
Right on! :buttrock: Me and my roommate are practicing for some chicks that'll be coming over in a couple of weeks.:D It'll be "fun".:drink1: :beer: :eek:

·
10,236 Posts
Looks like a good project!!......good thought on the bedliner hood!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
That is a very clever idea for the hood. Gauranteed never to f-ing rust on ya!:D Wish I could the same about mine, like seen above.:lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RageRover said:
That is a very clever idea for the hood. Gauranteed never to f-ing rust on ya!:D Wish I could the same about mine, like seen above.:lol:
We dont get much rust here in Mississippi....no snow means no road salt. We do have 100% humidity though...

I will hopefully be installing the lift this weekend. I will most likely be putting on some 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on it. They have a MTR-like sidewall but are less than $500 a set.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Holy Jesus!! :eek: Man those are nice! I have to say this is the fastest build of a Rover I've seen. Right on!:buttrock:

·
10,236 Posts
RageRover said:
Holy Jesus!! :eek: Man those are nice! I have to say this is the fastest build of a Rover I've seen. Right on!:buttrock:
AT this pace you will have a built trail rig in 2 weeks!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Oh hell yeah by far! Gotta love it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Choqiees said:
is that an FX-1 or oldskul Super Jet? im pretty sure it's a Kawi though
It is a 1979 Kawasaki JS440 with a mod 650. I got this from a junkyard and restored it...it took 2 summers. I have a 701 SuperJet, but I still love to take this one out. I am looking for a FX1 to buy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even though I decided to sell the project, I am gonna keep toying with it until it sells. Here is the latest mod.. I installed some 215/85/16 tires that I had in the barn. I will have the lift done by this weekend hopefully... the weather has been to nice to do it:) I think this is a good tire choice for non-lifted rovers.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Very cool, why are you selling the project? Insurance being a bitch or something? Well it'll be a Rover well built!:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am only selling because a friend has a SWEET 95 RRC that he is willing to part with cheaply. It is cheap because it has a rebuilt title...but that doesn't bother me. If I dont get it, I will be looking for a 94ish Disco.

I trimmed the rear fenders today but forgot my camera. That crease in the right rear fender was really bothering me. The fenders behind the rear tires only go about 2 inches below the gas door now... and this 2 inches is sprayed in bedliner, as well as about an 1.5 inch strip on the bottom edge of the tailgate. The paint on the bottom of the tailgate was worn off from rubbing the bumpers rubber strip in the middle. Also, since the sunroof was leaking BADLY, I sealed it up. It is now a non-opening window.

The next project is to remove the tint from all of the windows. I want to leave it, but it wont pass inspection. Our limit is 35% on film tint. It is stupid because factory tint on my Explorer is darker but is legal because it isnt film.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts