Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I downloaded the RAVE manual and have been reading threads about the flushing and bleeding. Here is my broad plan. I wanted to be sure this was the best way. I have to replace the radiator and my biggest concern is not being able to get air out or have an overheat situation. I am also replacing the t-stat, upper hoses and bleed housing, and the two small expansion tank and throttle body hoses. Lower hoses were replaced a few years back.
OK:
I am tossing this out off the top of my head--
1) Locate bottom radiator drain plug and drain fluid. If not, remove lower hose and drain fluid.
2) Put hose/plug back on, remove top hose and fill rad with distilled water. Run to OP temp, shut off and drain. I repeat this drain/flush a second time. I plan on having 4-6 gallons of distilled water.
3) Drain as much fluid as I can, remove radiator, replace t-stat, radiator and hoses I have purchased.
4) With new radiator and parts installed, remove top hose and pour a 50/50 DEXCOOL mixture (It currently has DEXCOOL) until full. Replace top hose. Lift UP expansion tank and add more mixture. With expansion tank up, open bleed screw and start engine to bleed. When coolant runs through bleed screw cap it off.
5) Let engine cool with tank elevated. Check fluid level and measure intake of fluid (should be about 3gals of 50/50 mix).
6) Start again, check engine temp, if hot, bleed again and/or add mixture.

NOTE: The distilled water flush I read was from a shop on this forum in an older post.

Does this sound about right?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Uh - I think you're overthinking it. I assume you want to do the distilled water flush prior to rad removal because you think there's slag in the system that might clog the new one? Unlikely, unless the coolant currently looks very dirty/rusty.

All you really have to do is:

1. With engine cold, pull lower hose to drain fluid. D2 doesn't have a drain plug. Remove the two engine block drain plugs if you REALLY want the thing dry.
2. Remove pertinent hoses. Usually top/bleeder hose + water pump "T" hose. I suggest bypassing the TB heater as it's just a failure point.
3. Remove radiator. Removing the fan makes this easier, but not necessary
4. Reverse procedure to install.
5. Refill system with 100% distilled water through tank, raise expansion tank, unscrew bleeder, wait until only water comes out, tighten bleeder.
6. Run till hot, allow to cool, drain, refill with GREEN 50/50 coolant. DEXCOOL is trash.
7. Run till hot, allow to cool, refill to MAX line.

I've done this procedure 3 times now. Never had air bubble, slag, or overheating issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You do not need to remove the radiator with the coolers attached. You can remove the coolers from the radiator in the DII. No need to disconnect the lines to the coolers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
do not disconnect those coolers! those are tricky connections and you will likely have problems with them. it takes a little effort but yes the radiator can be removed w/o disconnection those.

·
Registered
356 Posts
FYI
i just bought a Nissens brand radiator and it comes with a drain plug.

basically what they did was make a universal radiator for secondary air/ non secondary air.
if your truck is not equipped with secondary air then you get a drain plug ;)

of course it's still in a shitty spot and if you really want to make it functional you will need to put in an extension

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
FYI
i just bought a Nissens brand radiator and it comes with a drain plug.

basically what they did was make a universal radiator for secondary air/ non secondary air.
if your truck is not equipped with secondary air then you get a drain plug ;)

of course it's still in a shitty spot and if you really want to make it functional you will need to put in an extension
That's dirty pool!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 165k on the odometer I have no idea what shape the radiator is in so I was planning on taking it to a shop to be cleaned out. They charge a minimum of 125 for the cleaning, so my question is should I do the cleaning or buy the one lucky 8 sells for 230 bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.