Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's VERY slow on the LRO board today,,,, I figured I would share with you a sad story :bawling: from about 6 mos. ago.

I found a D90 on a dealership lot. Looked at it. Looked at it some more. Over the course of about a month it was still there. Priced at 30-ish somethin'.

So finally I go test drive it. It's soft top. Green. Mostly stock w/ a Southdown steering guard & OME suspension on 265/75/16's on stock alloys. This was good, because I would tear almost everything off it anyway & build it up.

So I start bargaining,,, get 'em down to 25k with 5 new tires, new battery, new pads/rotors. KILLER DEAL of a lifetime.

Problem is, there had been an "event" with the odometer at some point. True-mileage-unknown. Now this was a good truck. I drove it, searched it, pawed it, pat it, frisked it, and did everything other than lick it. I was fine with TMU. Problem is, I didn't have the cash. Needed to finance it. Could not find anyone to finance a rig that old TMU. Arrrggghh. :mad: :bawling:

So the weekend after the deal falls apart,,, I see this rig on the trail at a Solihull event. Guy had just sold a loaded up Jeep & had some extra dough and bought it !!! My 90 ! :shifty: So I had to spend the whole day on the trail getting my face rubbed in it. More power to him. But tragic loss for SCSL. The way I figure, may never find one in that good shape in the 20's again. Damn. So there's my tail of woe. :bawling: :bawling:

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I feel your pain man. Ever since Wild Kingdom I have been a fan of the series vehicles. I found a right hand drive series in pretty good shape last year, local, made an offer, someone had beaten me to it by about an hour. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
sorry to hear that SCSL, but it probably wasn't meant to be. the one you want will come along eventually, and probably when you least expect it.

i'm sure you saw the 90 Mr. Vigil was advertising for a friend in the "For Sale" section of this forum. i seriously considered selling mine and trying to buy that one. made contact with Mr. Vigil and the owner, both of whom were more than accommodating with information (thanks Art, if you're reading this, and sorry i didn't get back to you), and it sounded like a really good buy at $35K. it just wasn't a good fit for me logistically.

i know that the $35K is more than you want to spend, and it's probably got mods that you might not want, but it might be worth checking out further. as of monday, it hadn't sold yet.

good luck in your search. just light up one o' those ceegars of yours, pour a nice single malt and your woes will float away on the wind. :drink1:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Don't be too upset Skizzle, if you do some looking, they're out there. 94s are below 20 and I have seen several '97s in the upper 20s, including one I could have had at 24500. 93(110s) 94 & 95 used an old fashioned gearhead speedo, and they are notoriously famous for failing. They can get jerky, have real trouble getting over the hump each 10K and mine howls when the temp is below freezing till the cabin warms up (that being a relative thing)
If you're planning on one to mod up, one with a salvage rebuildable title will be way cheaper (Except from Wayne in Atlanta, he could squeeze the last squeal from a dying pig) Look for a wreck or engine fire truck. Engine fires are pretty common on Defender V8s due to the incredibly brilliant LR engineering of running the oil cooler lines less than 2" from the front of the right hand exhaust manifold. I know of over a dozen 110s that have had engine fires (including my own; that's how I got it) They are so simple to rebuild it's laughable. If you had an erector set as a kid (Made by the AC Gilbert company of New Haven CT, nothing to do with your first boner) then you can build one, take it apart, put it together as often as you like. EVERY part for them is available as new or takeoffs imported by several, but RDS (Who, hopefully, will still be in business after the hurricane cleanup)is the best source for any Defender part, including complete, new, rolling chassis.
It is truly remarkable that a vehicle, so simply put together, can be so much fun. This is, I feel, the best way to acquire one, since you will find they are built so haphazordly, it would piss you off if you paid retail.

·
Registered
261 Posts
TerryS said:
Don't be too upset Skizzle, if you do some looking, they're out there. 94s are below 20 and I have seen several '97s in the upper 20s, including one I could have had at 24500. 93(110s) 94 & 95 used an old fashioned gearhead speedo, and they are notoriously famous for failing. They can get jerky, have real trouble getting over the hump each 10K and mine howls when the temp is below freezing till the cabin warms up (that being a relative thing)
If you're planning on one to mod up, one with a salvage rebuildable title will be way cheaper (Except from Wayne in Atlanta, he could squeeze the last squeal from a dying pig) Look for a wreck or engine fire truck. Engine fires are pretty common on Defender V8s due to the incredibly brilliant LR engineering of running the oil cooler lines less than 2" from the front of the right hand exhaust manifold. I know of over a dozen 110s that have had engine fires (including my own; that's how I got it) They are so simple to rebuild it's laughable. If you had an erector set as a kid (Made by the AC Gilbert company of New Haven CT, nothing to do with your first boner) then you can build one, take it apart, put it together as often as you like. EVERY part for them is available as new or takeoffs imported by several, but RDS (Who, hopefully, will still be in business after the hurricane cleanup)is the best source for any Defender part, including complete, new, rolling chassis.
It is truly remarkable that a vehicle, so simply put together, can be so much fun. This is, I feel, the best way to acquire one, since you will find they are built so haphazordly, it would piss you off if you paid retail.
i am extremely glad to have heard that info. thanks, terry.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with Griff - it wasn't meant to be... I mean you must be one hell of a guy to deal with when buying a car :drink1: to get them down to 25K with new tires and brakes! My bet is there was more to it than they wanted to reveal??
It was "safe" to walk away. If it was meant to be than you would have sold your left kidney to get it ;)

Thanks for the info Terry :drink1:

·
Registered
528 Posts
are they reintroducing the defender's to N/A? If so, will there be any changes? Do you have any links to some pictures or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
GriffSC said:
yeah, thanks, Terry. always good to hear someone is a schmuck when he/she pays retail, or even considers paying retail... like i did. ;)
Honestly, Griff, don't be so hard on yerself. If no one paid retail then I wouldn't feel so wealthy when I see what people ask for 110s. The real worth of anything is what changes hands, not these telephone price tags. The people who pay Copley Motor Car prices are generally the ones who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Watch the prices of the 90s that actually seell on ebay. I can't believe no one bought it, but there was a nice Arle Blue 97SW on ebay a few months back, mid 60k miles, he was looking for 29500 and nobody took him up. Seems to me it was in SC or NC.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
TerryS said:
Honestly, Griff, don't be so hard on yerself. If no one paid retail then I wouldn't feel so wealthy when I see what people ask for 110s. The real worth of anything is what changes hands, not these telephone price tags. The people who pay Copley Motor Car prices are generally the ones who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Watch the prices of the 90s that actually seell on ebay. I can't believe no one bought it, but there was a nice Arle Blue 97SW on ebay a few months back, mid 60k miles, he was looking for 29500 and nobody took him up. Seems to me it was in SC or NC.
which end is it again?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bummer about the missed opportunity, but honestly, there are more out there.
I started watching D90-for sale ads back in the late '90's. Since spring of '01 I probaby haven't gone more than a couple of days, certainly not longer than a week without checking the ads. In all that time I've learned that there are deals out there if you have patience.
Pricing for D90's is all over the place, not everyone knows (or cares) what their D90 is worth when they put it up for sale. You just need to be in the right place when the deal comes up.
Of everything I've learned I think the most important thing is to make sure the maintainence records are there. Don't be afraid of high mileage if the seller has records of service/repair. Things go wrong, these were hand-made vehicles, but if they've been serviced properly they can last a long time.
Best of luck,

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Art.
What do you think of Yousef's truck for sale ?
If I had the cash on hand I would consider it.
That's one rig that doesn't need much of anything else...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.