Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 Discovery SE and a leak is a bit of an understatement, it's more of a torrential downpour. I have yet to find it's origin but I have replaced the water pump/gasket, the thermostat, all the hoses and the coolant reservoir to radiator to thermostat to water pump junction piece. It is coming from the bottom front of the engine and pours from the crank shaft pulley, even while it is not running. I am not sure if it is flowing from something above the pulley, but as far as I can tell that is where it comes from. I appreciate any help/suggestions.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Need a bit more information - do you have water in your oil? did the engine overheat at all?
The fastest way to loose coolant - other than a burst pipe - is to blow the timing cover gasket. A blown timing cover gasket can cause you to pump your engine dry 3 or 4 minutes.
The back passages of the waterpump go directly into the block and if the gasket blows on the inside you will fill your engine up with water.

Have a look at the pictures below, the first is of the timing cover itself and then with the timing cover removed showing the gasket, mine had blown on the drivers side USA vehicle (from the drivers seat the LHS passage). Pumped the engine dry in a few minutes.
If you have water in the oil this is the most likely culprit if the water is just pouring out as you describe

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tip. I drained some oil to take a look and didn't see anything out of the ordinary when it first started, but it has been sitting for a while so I will go ahead and drain it all out this evening. Based on your pictures, it looks like this is my problem. If it is, should I do anything more than replace the gasket?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
If there is no water in the oil then it may just have ruptured to the outside and be leaking. You might want to double confirm its not anything else first as you have to remove the oil pan to remove the oil feed pipe before you can remove the timing cover. When I had mine off I replaced the timing chain and gears. My oil pressures were fine at the time so I left the pump alone but if I were doing it again I would have replaced the oil pump too, its a drop in replacement once the timing cover is off.
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally got around to removing the oil. I ran it for about two minutes to see if I got anything frothy on the dipstick, nothing. I removed the oil and there was no water in the oil. I'm looking all over where it could possibly be because I really don't look forward to removing the cover. How long did all that take you?

Also, out of curiosity, do you actually live in Seattle or are you in a surrounding area?

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the video, that combined with gurunutkins pictures really gave some context to the front cover for me.

Unfortunately, I am an idiot. The leak was coming from the weeping hole in the water pump. I need a new water pump. I could have fixed this a month ago when I replace all the hoses, removed the water pump to clean it and replace it's gasket, and replace the belt. I couldn't see the hole with the pulley on, but when I removed it, it was clear as day. Thanks to the both of you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for the video, that combined with gurunutkins pictures really gave some context to the front cover for me.

Unfortunately, I am an idiot. The leak was coming from the weeping hole in the water pump. I need a new water pump. I could have fixed this a month ago when I replace all the hoses, removed the water pump to clean it and replace it's gasket, and replace the belt. I couldn't see the hole with the pulley on, but when I removed it, it was clear as day. Thanks to the both of you.
Good news! If jts the original pump, the gasket will be a bear to get off though. Just plan in taking your time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.