Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I changed my engine belt and noticed a a gurgling sound coming from the center of the dash slightly below the climate control unit. This noise happens when the truck is started cold and initially driven after the usual warm up period (about two minutes). When I accelerate I hear the noise for a brief second or two and then it goes away. This only happens after initial start up or after the truck has been run and may have been idiling for a few minutes. This has not effected the heating or cooling ability of the climate control. Could there be an air lock in the system somehow causing this? Is it a fluid system which air passes over to generate heat? Hmmmm...... :confused On a lighter note I just came back from opening weekend at Sugarloaf. Figured me and the truck needed to hit some less urban roads than Jersey City and scince I work out of No. Reading, Mass and the better half was in Florida I could escape for some pre-thanksgiving turns. Found a great bunk house in Stratton-Eustis for twenty bucks a night with free longdistance, internet, and laundry. Ahh the simple life. :D

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Sounds like you are low on coolant, which in a Rover engine allows air to get trapped in the engine. If it gets to low, your heater will not blow hot at an idle.
Check your coolant level when cold, fill to the top, start the engine with the coolany cap off, let the engine warm up, turn the heater to the highest heat level and run the idle to around 1500 to 2000 RPMS for a minute or so. This should allow the engine to suck in any needed coolant and your noise should be gone.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Sounds like you are low on coolant, which in a Rover engine allows air to get trapped in the engine. If it gets to low, your heater will not blow hot at an idle.
Check your coolant level when cold, fill to the top, start the engine with the coolany cap off, let the engine warm up, turn the heater to the highest heat level and run the idle to around 1500 to 2000 RPMS for a minute or so. This should allow the engine to suck in any needed coolant and your noise should be gone.
Good luck,
Mike J.
Yep, sounds right. You might not be able to get that noise out of there. Just make sure your overflow tank is properly filled with coolant and let nature take its course.

When the engine cools, the excess fluid will shrink and draw (or suck) the fluid into the space and you will eventually get that void filled.

However, to me, it just adds character to an older vehicle. You know, like the stomach noises when you are quietly resting.

Adam in NYC

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi
In my experience gurgling sounds in V8 Discos are caused often when for some reason or another the Heater Hoses have been swaped around. I don't know why but trapped air is not allowed to bleed out of the system if that happened.
Cheers h-man/ Australia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.