Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I recently replaced my old alternator. I now have a flashing odometer and It's not synching up with vehicle's computer. Does anyone have a Nanocom Reader to synch it up to the ECU? (Ideally in Western Maryland in the Frederick/Hagerstown area.)

Any help is most appreciated!
Douglas

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Douglas,

I don't have a Nanocom to offer, and I live in Charlotte, but it's interesting that replacing the alternator resulted in the flashing odometer.

The same thing happened to me three years ago last month. The alternator died in my truck when my son was driving from Wilmington to Charlotte after graduating from college and moving out of his rental. He called me to tell me the M & S lights were flashing, and that the battery light was on. It was late afternoon, and he was about a hundred miles from home. I told him to keep going, hoping he might limp the rest of the way home on the charge left in the battery and with whatever power the alternator may have still been producing. The truck finally died when he was just 5½ miles from home, which made it a lot easier to recover him and the truck. But, like you, the odometer was flashing after I installed the replacement alternator from a local boneyard. I still don't know why the BCU and the instrument pack got out of sync. Maybe it was because the electrical system got drained completely with the truck running.

If no one nearby offers a Nanocom, you might try a Rovers-only shop near you. I stopped by a local Rovers-only shop right around closing time and they used their Autologic to sync the BCU and the instrument pack. It took all of five minutes, and that includes walking to get the Autologic and then put it away. Less than a minute once it was plugged in. No charge. It helps that I had developed a (minor) relationship with them over the last few years, even though I told them up front that I would never be a good customer for them since I do most things myself. They're good guys.

·
very disco
2,730 Posts
I was curious about the correlation myself.

+1 on having a good indie. I have a shop I’ve used for 15yrs for all of the things I can’t/don’t want to, and they’re very helpful, flexible, and accommodating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts