Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I went and looked at a 2003 Disco HSE. It was super clean and ran well. Black on Black and sweet....One problem. It has Navigation but the face plate (flip down controler is missing). The dealer, a ford dealer, said they would install a new radio. I told them HOLD UP!!!! That's not just a radio but a nav system. They had no idea. My question to you all is....Can I get just the control unit and install it or do I have to get a whole new system? Also if I can just get the flip down control unit that works everything, any idea what that would cost. The Disco is real nice and I may be able to work the numbers but not if I can't get the Radio/Nav/CD changer to work. What do you say????

Thank you for your help...Mike :wave:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
buying a vehicle from another dealer that isnt LR invites trouble. The ford dealers doesnt know jack **** about LRs. MOre then likely the used car guy used a can of brake clean on all the oil leaks and replaced the air filter. If it has navigation it will cost well over twelve hundred dollars plus the navigation unit. Not to mention if you wanted a regular radio it would be over five hundred dollars or more.

Besides how do you know the maintenance and service records. Do you know if the vehicle has had any open recalls done. And for warrantee are they gonna let you go or are they gonna sell you a useless aftermarket warrantee that only pays fifty dollars and hour for labor and leaves your footing the bill.

Trust me get a certified Land Rover. We have to certify one hundred and fourty items and we make the list and it is included in the deal. Thats right you get to see when we decided to fix or not and better then that all LRs get codes read before the vehicle leaves the shop and fixed.

Oh and you get an awesome warrantee with the vehicle. LR used car warrantee is longer and better.

Oh and when you take the car back to the LR dealer for work that you bought it from you will get a rental. The ford dealer wont do squat and say.

Sorry we dont fix them and know nothing about them.

·
2,437 Posts
besides if you are going to buy from another dealer you need to know what they fixed and you should always always send it to an authorized dealer to have it inspected so that they will know what they are going to have to pay for.

And also do you really think the Ford dealer used one LR geniune part. More then likely its the cheapest stuff they can get. Cheapest tires all around and lets not forget the deal they will probably screw you on. They want you to get the car off the lot as quickly as possible so you get stuck with an expensive vehicle that the Sales manager can say oh well your screwed and dont come back again.

Trust me I worked for Ford dealers and lincoln Mercury dealers and the SMs did the same thing to people all the time.

You are statistically better off getting one at a LR dealer. Not a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Now for the counterpoint- All the Harmon Kardon NAV face plates interchange (doesn't have to be a Land Rover one), you can get them on eBay. I'll sell you a whole Land Rover NAV head unit for $600 used but functional, I have two in my garage.

As for Land Rover Certification. I've purchased TWO Land Rover "Certified" used Discos and both times they never checked jack sh*t on them. Both had a LONG list of things wrong that were obvious and on the list of things that were supposed to be checked. They simply pencil-whip the form and put armor all on the tyres. The ONLY thing about the LR cert that's good is that they extend the warranty one year- which YOU pay for, but it's a reasonable price in most cases.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man oh man, the more I get into getting a LR the more worried I get. I'm looking at a SE at a LR dealer and I just looked at the HSE at a Ford dealer yesterday. I relized there would be no warrenty with Ford dealer but I thought I could use that to my advantage in the deal. Now I'm worried about getting a LR form cert-dealer. I love the Discovery's and have always wanted one but I don't want a problem vehical. Maybe I should just stay away......

Anyway, thank you all for the help........Mike :dunno:

·
2,437 Posts
Some can be pencil whipped. Depends on when it was certified and by whom. If it was done the same day as the delivery then oh well.

But if the Certification was done before it was put out on the line to be sold then chances are there will be less problems. Doesnt mean something will crop up it just means something will be less likely to occur. Usually what I do if a vehicle has been certified previously, I give it a quick checkover before I give it a final ok. that way there are no surprises at delivery.

Please remember any dealer I mean any dealer has to show you what work was done on the vehicle to get it to pass their inspections. Its required. Not to mention they also have to let you take it to get inspected by an independant inspector. Remember used car buying isnt about one brand in particular you need to worry about. Its about how informed you are and how smart you are. To get a good deal on any car always always do your homework.

The Land Rover certified covers alot of stuff. The used car warrantee you get from the dealer might get very little plus it will be a pain to deal with and get approval. I can tell you from my experience with aftermarket companies in ford and LR that they are a royal pain. They want every little documentation and want you to pony up as much money as possible. They want to keep the car their as long as possible. They dont care if it takes two weeks to send an inspector out for a bloody valve cover leak while you are stuck getting a ride to work.

And remember this, The ford dealer will show you no loyalty. They want you gone asap. They dont want to deal with you should something get thru their expert hands. Their excuse will be call the LR dealer and make an appointment.

Now if you buy the car from the LR dealer. They have to help you. When you buy a car from them your a customer. When you buy a car from somewhere else your LR customer. Only good for warrantee. No loyalty no bend over backwards service. Thats a fact. remember this applies for all makes and all models and manufacturers. Loyalty is rewarded.

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
Motomike22 said:
Man oh man, the more I get into getting a LR the more worried I get. I'm looking at a SE at a LR dealer and I just looked at the HSE at a Ford dealer yesterday. I relized there would be no warrenty with Ford dealer but I thought I could use that to my advantage in the deal. Now I'm worried about getting a LR form cert-dealer. I love the Discovery's and have always wanted one but I don't want a problem vehical. Maybe I should just stay away......

Anyway, thank you all for the help........Mike :dunno:
Mike,
Do the deal!!!!! Choose the one you like best, check it to the best of your ability (better yet take a mechanic with you)....test drive the hell out of it, and if you like it buy it .... buy it!!!!! There are lots of problem free Discos out there.
Go the LR dealer, get a Tech to "work with you" (tell him please not to leave his trusty "note book" thingy for code reading) :D , Copy the VIN # and have L/R check it for service history and or any oustanding recall work that may apply to this vehicle...this should be a free service by the way.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.....dont be scared.......Furthermore with people like Beezel and Discomike and many other of our resident notables here to help out.....you will never drive alone :D !!!!

Hmmm.....I think I may have outdone myself on that one.... ****sigh***

·
Registered
908 Posts
I bought my '02 DII from a cert dealer here and yes i know it cost me more than non cert dealer. i just knew that they would pencil whip some stuff but to be honest mine is ok right now and the good thing is the warranty. if you have any problems, call em up and you'll get a loaner. no worries about that. get the DII its worth it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I just don't think that you can truly call something 'certified' and hand someone a checklist of stuff unless those things were actually checked. It's dishonest. Just because a truck looks good or isn't that old, that doesn't excuse pencil whipping the certification inspections.
When we drove our certified 04 G4 off the lot, the wiper blades (unknown to us) were shredded and when we tried to use them, they scored the glass- costing the dealer a new windshield. They also missed a LOT of other small problems- like the key fob remote not working on one of the keys. If you ask me, "certified" doesn't mean squat other than a warranty.

·
2,437 Posts
Oval, more then likely the car wasnt looked at previously ahead of time.

SOme dealers look at used vehicles before they go out on the line and some wait till the last minute hoping you wont complain about all the little problems and the fact the brakes are shot.

My previous dealer did that all the time. I cant tell you the amount of oil leaks and rattles I sent down the road because the ticket was handed to u at ten and the customer was waiting for the car to be delivered. You were given no time to work on the car and the clean up guy was breathing down your neck to get it done.

ALthough your problem with the remote isnt unusual. Most dealers keep the extra key until delivery. THe tech never sees it. Its kinda up to the Salesmen to make sure both work before handing them over to you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Disco Navigation HU

Muddy Oval. Do you still have the Navigation Head Units? Will it be a straight plug and play or does it need an external antenna?
I only saw one on e-bay and the seller wanted too much. Do you have the disc's as well?

Could you tell the difference in sound quality between a stock Alpine Head Unit and this HK one?

I am assuming that you took them out of your Disco's just curious as to what you replaced them with.

I tried to PM you but you box seems to be full.
DevilDisco.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I had to clear out my PM box...
I have two head units- one from a Rover and one straight from Harmon Kardon. Neither are plug and play unless you have the Visteon head unit stock. They require an external antenna- I have a stock roof antenna and an aftermarket one that can be mounted elsewhere. It's not a terribly difficult installation at all... ut more involved than a normal installation. The software I have is not L.R. stuff, but it's from Harmon Kardon. There doesn't appear to be a difference.
The sound quality of the HK head unit is better than the Visteon, by far. I decided to scrap the project of installing these navs in my 04 Discos mainly because I went with a Garmin nav that has colour weather rader overlay on the maps and a head unit with an LCD in it for a reverse camera.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have an '04 SE7, that came with the Alpine head Unit and the Phillips/Lear Seapker setup. I don't think I have heard about the Vieteon. I was looking throught an 03 Disco Catalog I hand it said that the HK system came with 11 speakers where has the Alpine/Phillips came with 12 Speakers. Do you think I'd need to find HK/Speaker and amps. I think the Nav system was dealer installed so they could not have made it too complicated since on could have purchase and SE with the Navigaton.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
OK- even though the head unit on the NAV is Harmon Kardon, it's a completely separate 'thing' from the HK upgrade on the truck. The HK 'premium audio' is an amp and speaker setup and actually could be used with different head units. The wiring is different though when you have different head units etc...
The Visteon single CD head unit was in both of my 04's and my Freelander, so that's what I based my experimentation on.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
376c

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.