Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I need advise from anyone on what to do/say regarding the garage that fixed the engine light on my car today and gave me my NY state inspection - the light came back on 15 mins after driving away.

I have had code p1316 for awhile now. changed the plugs and wires but it did not help. The mechanic told me it was the front o2 sensors. Thinking about it surely the codes would have been o2 codes if that was the problem. Anyway, $700 later i had new plugs and wires (again) 2 front O2 sensors, an inspection and no check engine light. After paying and as i was leaving the shop he told me not to be surprised if the light came back on as the cat was on its way out and that was what probably broke the O2 sensors.

It was at this point that I guessed the guy had probably cleared the code , drove around enough to have acycle for the inspection but not enough for the check engine light to come back on. For all i know he may not have even put in new sensors and plugs etc, but for now I wil give him the benefit of the doubt.

What should I do - I have my inspection, but the engine light is still on and therefor my car was not fixed. I dont want to go back andhave him charge me to do more work - if the light is still on he did not fix it and surely miss diagnosed it. I dont want him telling me that the light is still on because i need a new cat - since the code is still the same, if it was the cat all along surely he should have been able to diagnose this.

Anyone any suggestions?

·
Registered
347 Posts
First thing to do is find out what code it's throwing now. Could be something completely different. I've had cars where they fix someting, clear the light, drive it for awhile and it will come back on again because there's another problem that didn't show up the first time.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
If it is the cats...don't get them from him!!! Order them from www.completeexhaust.com. I am assuming you have a 96 - 99 D1 since you mentioned front O2 sensors. So I think it is part #8505R that you need for new cats. They are about $60.00 each. Check with John at that web site. Get them welded on at a local muffler shop. Plugs, wires, two new O2 sensors out the door should be no more than $300 if you source the O2 sensors from Nathan at Discount Rovers. Not sure how much a NY inspection costs...and what did he charge you for labor?

When this is all said and done, go get yourself an OBDII reader and read the codes yourself. Then post the codes here and we'll help you from there. You can get a good one at www.ambientweather.com called the CarChip for $99.00. It will read codes and turn off the light for you. There are other good ones out there but I like my CarChip. It came with the software for my computer too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its the same codeas when i took it in there, P1316.

This is acode related to excessive emissions, not all the fuel is being burned.
Surely O2 sensors would be an O2 code and a cat issue would be a code relating to that - thats the point of having a computer code - it tells the specific component.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is not so much getting the work fixed. I paid for the light related issue to be fixed and an inspection. The light came on 15 minsafter leaving the garage. I could have paid much less for a crooked mechanic to clear the light, drive just enough to have data for the inspection and get me by sticker.

I need to know what my rights are relating to this issue. I want to confront the guy tommorow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pick yourself up an OBDII reader or get someone else to pull those codes for you. If it is the same code take it back and make him fix the damn thing. If you just spent 700.00 on correcting a specific trouble code and the same code return... that aint fixed.

This makes me think of that movie "Mask" with Jim Carrie (sp?)... LOL stick the tail pipe up his butt. LOL

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Adam in NYC might be able to shed some light on this issue. Try to PM him. That's his actual screen name - Adam from NYC or Adam in NYC...whatever, go to the members list up top and look him up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
aharbour said:
My issue is not so much getting the work fixed. I paid for the light related issue to be fixed and an inspection. The light came on 15 minsafter leaving the garage. I could have paid much less for a crooked mechanic to clear the light, drive just enough to have data for the inspection and get me by sticker.

I need to know what my rights are relating to this issue. I want to confront the guy tommorow.

What other issue if there....? First, get the work fixed. You paid for it. :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
aharbour said:
For all i know he may not have even put in new sensors and plugs etc, but for now I wil give him the benefit of the doubt.
At least you can figure that part out. Crawl under the truck (when cold) and peek at the top front of the cats. If the O2 sensors are new, it will be obvious, because they'll be shiny and not covered with gray-tan crud. They look kind of like spark plugs screwed into the top of the exhaust, right in front of the cats.

Depending on what year you've got, you might have 2 sensors right behind the cats too.

A cat going bad doesn't ruin your O2 sensor. Think about it... in 4-sensor systems you use the same sensor in front of the cat as behind it, and that one doesn't go out any faster than the one behind the cat. Generally if you replace a cat, you replace the sensor too, because they both go bad at roughly the same speed.

A cat going bad also won't give you a rich indication, from what I understand. An O2 sensor going bad might.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you are in the NYC area and need an OBDII scanner let me know and I'll lend you mine.

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Did you pay by credit card, if so you might want to contact your credit card company. Also, most states have regulatory agencys that over see shops and can really shake up a shop if it is screwing with the customer.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
1316 is excessive misfire.

thats not o2 sensors or cats.

what is is two things fuel or spark.

If that was the only code you have then diagnosis needed to be done. I would not have suspected plugs and wires because usually it gives a distinct number. I suspect either a valve problem or fuel pressure problem somewhere.

As a NY state inspector in order to test drive any vehicle after clearing the codes it would have to be driven a minimum of ten miles at least. There is a procedure that LR has outlined to reset the monitors. For example to pass NYSI you need all but two. But all of them come under drive cycle C. Its an entire list of things. We do it quite frequently when someone comes in with for a NYSI and they have a CEL or even they disconnect the battery.

If there wasnt any miles put on the vehicle then I suspect something else on the machine. Now if you paid more then four hundred dollars and it doesnt fix the problem you do get a waiver but still I would have gone back to them to fix the problem for free.

OR better yet ask for the old parts back or your money back.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
aharbour said:
Hi
I need advise from anyone on what to do/say regarding the garage that fixed the engine light on my car today and gave me my NY state inspection - the light came back on 15 mins after driving away.

I have had code p1316 for awhile now. changed the plugs and wires but it did not help. The mechanic told me it was the front o2 sensors. Thinking about it surely the codes would have been o2 codes if that was the problem. Anyway, $700 later i had new plugs and wires (again) 2 front O2 sensors, an inspection and no check engine light. After paying and as i was leaving the shop he told me not to be surprised if the light came back on as the cat was on its way out and that was what probably broke the O2 sensors.

It was at this point that I guessed the guy had probably cleared the code , drove around enough to have acycle for the inspection but not enough for the check engine light to come back on. For all i know he may not have even put in new sensors and plugs etc, but for now I wil give him the benefit of the doubt.

What should I do - I have my inspection, but the engine light is still on and therefor my car was not fixed. I dont want to go back andhave him charge me to do more work - if the light is still on he did not fix it and surely miss diagnosed it. I dont want him telling me that the light is still on because i need a new cat - since the code is still the same, if it was the cat all along surely he should have been able to diagnose this.

Anyone any suggestions?
Are you still dealing with this issue< if so get back to me, got an idea.
Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with jhmover on this one. Sometimes a new and changed component can cause a connected component to act up and throw a new code.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.