Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, New GUY! Regards to all…

I currently own a 1999 Discovery Series II TD5 and I’m planning on selling it to purchase a brand new 2005 Defender 110 in a couple of months, here in my country (Panama).

I have the option of getting the defender with a TD5 or 300 TDi engine. This is the options that I’m still debating on. I want to see peoples comments on which engine should I chose and why? I’m almost sure that I won’t get the ABS and ETC because of pas experiences with my Discovery, to much problem with them, system fails, parts are expensive to get (here in Panama) also I think ETC its not that great. I think the TD5 engines, is a GREAT engine it has never gave me any problems on my Discovery but I have read some articles about complains regarding the electronic devices on this engines. Electronics and Water don’t mix!

Yes I will use this truck on and off the road. And most of the times I will travel around central America, south America or in my country hitting hard core mud trails, lots of water crossing searching for some good waves (I’m a surfer) and crazy adventures.

Dealers Quote:
Brand New 2005 Defender 110

2.5 Tdi (300tdi)
5-speed manual transmission
2-speed transfer box and Locking centre differential
9 Cloth seats
Cubby box
Tinted glass
Mudflaps front and rear
Electric front and manual rear windows
Remote Central Locking
Carpet Station Wagon 110
Air Conditioning
Stereo radio & single CD with 4 speakers
Sunroof (Manual)
Paint metallic (Alveston Red)
Body coloured roof
Boost alloy wheels, 235/85R16
Body coloured wheel arches

PRICE:

With out ABS/ETC: USD $38,705.00
Price for the TD5 engine with out ABS/ETC its a couple of hundreds $$ more.

Any comments, thoughts, etc are welcome.

Peace,
Peter

· Registered
1 Posts
I would also go with the 300 tdi as it's more economical (fuel consumption)than the td5, but the td5 is quieter on the long road and has noticably more power. We have a couple of td5 customers here in Namibia that have experienced problems with the electronics of the td5, not the engine itself, but rather the throttle potentiometer. :cool:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I was visiting with a friend of mine in Tortola last month. He owns the first and only Land Rover dealership in the BVI. While they may not sell as many new cars in a year as most, he still manages to do quite well, and Land Rover is far more popular today down there then even 5 years ago. He had taken delivery of his 2nd Discovery 3 while I was there.
He had a 2005 D90 on the lot and I asked if it had the TD5. He said no, he won't take them that way, but only with the 300TDi. Although he has all the LR diagnostic computers any authorized dealer is required to have, he said the problem is getting parts quickly when there is a need for them. He confirmed what I had read recently that the TD5 is going to be replaced at the end of the year, so that would only lead one to assume that if parts supply is a problem in locals off the beaten track, it will only become more so as time progresses.

· Registered
222 Posts
I have more experience with 300Tdi vehicles (Discos and Defenders) than Td5, but I'd say to go with the Td5.

At an off-road day I drove a Tdi 90 and a Td5 90 back to back (hopped out of one and into the other)- the difference is incredible. I've seen stock Td5s Defenders, even without ETC go everywhere a Tdi could but with much less hassle, engien revving and tyre scrabbling. I have never seen a Td5 stopped by water in the electrics, and that's going in over the bumper.

Day-to-day servicing (filter and fluid changes) on a Td5 can be done easily (once out of warrenty of course), and all the other mechanical bits are the same. Only if there is an electronics problem will the engine need to go on the diagnostics machine.

I'd be willing to trade a slight loss in simplicity for the huge increase in power and torque you get from a Td5, plus the much quieter running. I'm not convinced that the Td5 uses more fuel- I've seen Td5s that run at 30 mpg, and yet in another (but identical) vehicle will only do 25. I think these engines are evry sensitive to driving style because of the way the ECU adapts to your driving.

The first time I drove a Td5 it felt as if it had no guts at all- I stalled it twice when trying to take away on level concrete. Once I was told about the anti-stall system, it all made sense. At idle, the Anti-Stall will keep the engine running. All you do is put it in gear and slowly release the clutch. If you apply a chunk of revs (as in the Tdi), the anti-stall won't operate and the ECU will get confused- its a matter of technique.

I used to be a very traditional 'no electronics here' type of person, but having driven and been in a few Td5 vehicles on- and off-road I can see very little reason to go for a Tdi. Like any Land Rover, look after it well, drive within its limits and it will be the most reliable and capable vehicle you can own.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
jozg44

Yeah its true the TD5 is great engine I know it, I drive a Discovery TD5 but every time I found myself in situation like the one in the picture (surf trip with some friends) it makes me think about how much electronics the car has and how much money I have to spend if something goes wrong or better yet, how many surf trips I have to cancel to work more to get the money to pay for the damages. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that Land Rovers are poorly built with electronics they are AWESOME vehicles, what I’m saying is that when you found yourself in a remote area with nothing around just pure nature and the ECU fails for some reason you are STUCK, well that’s the way I see it in Panama. You’re not going to find a Land Rover shop in the middle of the Darien Jungle. But I appreciate your comments. thanks bro.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/669000-669999/669763_1_full.jpg

SCSL

:cool: ...

So thanks guys for everything, I’m almost sure that I’m going to choose the 300Tdi and maybe if I work my ass off, I can swap the engine for a 2.8TDi Powerstroke engine by International used by Defenders in Brazil. But hey keep the comments coming…

Thanks,
Peter

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Hey Peter, Are you able to lay your hands on a copy of the June issue of LRE?
Read the artical "The Final Goodbye" (pp 176) by Tim Race (SA Representative) regarding the retirement of their 1983 110. Towrads the end of the artical, he says "NO, we will not be running Td5s."

Then read the artical on pp 180 about the 2005 Defender Black, built by Land Rover do Brazil. Apart from being stunning, it appears, if one believes all one reads, they are building to a much higher quality than Land Rover UK. How fortunate for you!
I wish I could get hold of that silver grill and Headlamp finishers for mine. I like that they are putting L A N D R O V E R accross the front edge of the bonnet, silver on black. Do the UK built ones have that? I got a black set for a disco and put it on the front edge of my 110 bonnet (white) several years ago and thought it looked pretty good.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terrys,

No I wish I could, but they don’t sell that magazine here in Panama. There’s no way you could scan the article about the 2005 black defender?? I know is too much to ask, but I’m dying to know more.

The Defenders that are for sell in Panama are special order through the dealer and they are ship from the UK (3-4month) so I don’t have to privilege of getting one from Brazil but I’m trying to find out how and why the dealer wont order it from Brazil.

What other differences are between the Defenders 110 SW build in Brazil vs UK.

Peter

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
PanamaDisco said:
Terrys,

No I wish I could, but they don’t sell that magazine here in Panama. There’s no way you could scan the article about the 2005 black defender?? I know is too much to ask, but I’m dying to know more.

Peter
Peter, I have spent two freakin days trying to figure out whats up with my scanner. PM me your address and I'll just copy it and mail it. Hell, it's worth 60 cents for me to not screw with this POS scanner/printer/copierfax anymore.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TerryS said:
Peter, I have spent two freakin days trying to figure out whats up with my scanner. PM me your address and I'll just copy it and mail it. Hell, it's worth 60 cents for me to not screw with this POS scanner/printer/copierfax anymore.

haha.. Thanks man.. Let me know if you got my mail address,

Thanks again and if you need any info or something that I can help you from Panama, let me know.

Peter

· Registered
3 Posts
Jealous for the moment

SCSL said:
Aren't you jealous as hell when someone starts a thread asking for advice on a 2005 Defender?? :D :bawling: :bawling:
Of course I'm jealouse, that is why I'm moving to Buenos Aires, to buy a 110. That and I'd rather spend more time dealing with a different Bush. Just starting to do research on the landy.

· Registered
115 Posts
Why dont us Americans just get a 2.8 Tdi from International and install them into our Discos, we'll be the kings of the road if we do, and hey its almost as great as a 110 Defender, although not as great, I found out that to comply with emision regulations that we go to the local bureau of automotive repair and they can recertify our vehicles. I say go with the 2.8Tdi from International, its pretty much the same specs as the td5 but with less electronics inside. Well thats just the opinion of a crazy american who is willing to spend what it would cost to buy a car to put in an engine into his truck, but yeah let us know about how things go and send some pics of your defender.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
patrickfifth

Nice man let me know how that goes.

Ricky Rover

I will send pics as soon I get the Defender, I’m purchasing it in 2 month and it would take 2-3 month to delivery because is build and ship from the U.K. Hey check out estcoast rover website for more info on conversions

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Tdiconversions.html

Peter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.