Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find some that won't have the same dust properties of the OEM factory pads? Also, one's that wont chew up my rotors in 5K miles.

Time is of the essence!!

Thanks!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Brake pads

You might want to check out Atlantic British, I am using their kevlar pads on slotted and drilled rotors and wouldn't run anything else. Very little dust, better stopping power and I have a good 25,000 miles on them with 50% remaining.
Mike J.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check out those places!

My rotors are perfect, so I am just going to do the pads. Not bad for having 54K on them and this being the first time they have needed to be replaced.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered up the EBC Green Stuff 7000's for the front from Summitt Racing for $108 delivered, only to find that they do not make 7000's for the rear, but they make the 6000's.. I say okay.. then I find out... they are on intergallactic back order.. 30+ days. WTF.

So I call up Atlantic and ordered up the 6000's for the rear and they ran $107 delivered. So, hopefully I'll have both by the weekend! Bloody knuckles, here I come! I have never done a pad replacement on a LR before, anything I should know or tricks to get it done?

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
ba parts are easy to get for me. Its a block away from the dealership. Really handy for some older discos coming into the shop.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Local auto parts Chain , has the EBC pads for the front for like $60 . I belive thir name is Advenced auto . Damn I have tree of them here and I get confused :).

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fricken Frack...

Did my brakes today. By far the easiest vehicle ever to change pads on. Took roughly 35 minutes do do all four, including jacking it up and removing the tires. However.. on the last caliper (drivers rear) I snapped off one of the bolts. Unbelievable... There was some resistance using my ratchet, then SNAP! The LR parts department is closed until Monday.. so I went on a parts mission. After several hours at both Checker Auto and NAPA, I found one that was originally designed for a HOnda.. Interesting enough, it was the "same" part. The only difference was the bolt being standard sized, not metric. It's all back together and I can say, so far.. the EBC 7000's are SWEET!

BTW, the C-Clamp worked flawlessly. On the fronts, I just used the old pad to cover both pistons while I recessed them.

2,437 Posts
Did you clean the slides and lube them up with new lube.

otherwise you will get sticking slide pins.

Did you lube the hub surfaces as well. Makes it easier to get off.

and we get new hardware with our LR pads. I always replace the bolts. I got tons of spares.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beezel said:
Did you clean the slides and lube them up with new lube.

otherwise you will get sticking slide pins.

Did you lube the hub surfaces as well. Makes it easier to get off.

and we get new hardware with our LR pads. I always replace the bolts. I got tons of spares.
Yep, lubed them up (although there was tons in there to begin with) and anti-seized the bolts. The problem that I had was the bolt snapped off inside the slide pin. So I needed to replace the pin assembly. It's all good now though. I can't believe my dealer wanted $850 to do it. Cost me roughly $225 and a bit of frustration.

By asking about the hub surface I assume you are refering to where the rim mounts? I did not lube that area as I rotate my tires every 3-4K miles. I do it with every oil change. Never had a problem taking them off, they've never even been stuck on the hub at all, they fall off when I remove the lug nuts.

2,437 Posts
Well the dealer also wanted to replace the pads and rotors.

For some odd reason The brits dont want you to cut the rotors.

If they gave us specs for them then perhaps. but they dont so we just replace them.

and if they start pulsating then replace the rotors regardless.

oh and your lucky about your tires. basically every wheel i take off comes off with some persuasion.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
beezel said:
Well the dealer also wanted to replace the pads and rotors.

For some odd reason The brits dont want you to cut the rotors.

If they gave us specs for them then perhaps. but they dont so we just replace them.

and if they start pulsating then replace the rotors regardless.

oh and your lucky about your tires. basically every wheel i take off comes off with some persuasion.
Actually, the cost did not include new rotors, they were going to turn mine for some reason, they said they have very little wear.

2,437 Posts
really, they were going to turn them. I dont see the problem with it but without manufacturer notes on how much to cut then its a guessing game. I know we have cut new rotors but that was an extreme situation.

If you want to cut the rotors which will reduce brake noise and brake wear then by all means take them off and take them to your local machine shop and get them cut. but make sure to clean the rotor surfaces both inside and out.

On fords we cut first and replaced second. Unless there was lots of rust. But then again Fords were always getting overtorqued by careless tire changers and rust that would build up on new cars from sitting too long.

· Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
Minimum thickness and EBC Rotors/pads

The Brits really ought to give us some minimum thickness to work with on these rotors.
Anyway, in lieu of cutting them (and also because they are so damn soft), I am replacing them with with EBCs. New pads and slotted/dimpled rotors on all four corners.
I just hope they work as advertised. Does anyone have any experience with this brake kit? It would seem that EBC manufactured their own rotors to work with these specific pads.......I am not certain.

· Registered
521 Posts
Disco Mike said:
You might want to check out Atlantic British, I am using their kevlar pads on slotted and drilled rotors and wouldn't run anything else. Very little dust, better stopping power and I have a good 25,000 miles on them with 50% remaining.
Mike J.
Tell me about the abs sensors behavior with these pads/rotors.Do they trigger the abs lights on easily or not at all? Just want to know when I replace mine.

Thanks,
Carlos

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.