Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I met a Jeeper at work he other weekend. Told him I had just recently bought a Land Rover (just about a month ago, '98 Disco) and he proclaimed I could never keep up with him in his "modded" Wrangler, which consisted of a 2" lift and 31in. tires. I didn't tell him when I drove one at least I had a 4" lift with 33's. But those were my Jeep days, don't want to talk about those.

So what I need is facts. I mean, I always see "yeah we can kick jeeps ass" and I do feel more confident driving my stock Disco than I did my wrangler, but this is no basis for an argument. So help me out, in specific terms, tell me why Land Rover's kick ass. Help me debate that my Disco is just as capable or more so than his wrangler. He is just one of those guys that you really want to prove he's wrong and rub it in his face, know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Well you can talk about the CDL on your disco and ow that keeps power to the wheels.. You could talk about wheelbase and how much flex a rover has.. Talk about the coil suspension and the smoothness of the ride. How about Power, low end ability... You are able to carry more passengers....A good one for me is the fact that most components are level or abouve the frame rails...Less likely to hit a transmission...... etc.... Another great benefit is the rollover aspect ..the are able to take a huge lean for the size and weight they are..that ought to et you started

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Yup, all this is true.

Take him wheelin' and he'll learn quick. Doesn't sound like he's got much of a build-up going. Check out that exposed steering box on the front-end,,, take him on a rocky trail and you might be taxiing him home...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
SCSL said:
Yup, all this is true.

Take him wheelin' and he'll learn quick. Doesn't sound like he's got much of a build-up going. Check out that exposed steering box on the front-end,,, take him on a rocky trail and you might be taxiing him home...
Yeah, ask him if he had to buy a steering brace yet or if he's waiting for it to fall off on the trail.

Former Jeep owner (1970 CJ5 w/33s and 1985 CJ7 w/33s)

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good stuff guys thanks. I did mention the CDL, a point he had to admit was nice. When Funrover mentioned flex, just why is it that the Land Rover can flex so well?

Also, anyone know of any websites or anywhere that I can read up on the suspension construction, stuff like that, that will tell me more of the why behind things?

·
Registered
734 Posts
If all of the things posted above don't satisfy him............

Just tell him, "You have had worse things said by better people" :D

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, got some ammunition now. He is just one of those guys, man, I am totally not a violent person, but he makes me what to beat the **** out of him just to teach him a lesson.

·
Registered
321 Posts
SCSL said:
Yup, all this is true.

i'm with SCSL on this. take him wheelin and tell him, keep up, and off you go. let the truck do the talking and when he needs a pull just smile :)

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is definately the way to go. I just need a fellow Rover owner to show me just way much these things can do before I go trying to show up someone else. I haven't done any real wheelin' since I had my jeep, and don't know anyone that is into it anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Private Iron said:
good stuff guys thanks. I did mention the CDL, a point he had to admit was nice. When Funrover mentioned flex, just why is it that the Land Rover can flex so well?

Also, anyone know of any websites or anywhere that I can read up on the suspension construction, stuff like that, that will tell me more of the why behind things?
Well the first reason is the coils and the arms..... A lot of jeeps use leafs.. A great suspension, just not as flexable from the get-go...The arms and coils allow the axles fo move around more freely...The rear has a 3-link type set up and the front is a 4-link....The design is made to allow as mouch movement over an object as possible and still be road worthy.... Someone want to back me up on this.... I believe what I have said is true...

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCSL said:
You need to hook up with OkieRover. I think there's an LR club in OKC?
Well, I know there is a club in Tulsa, but I haven't found one for the Southern half of OK. Online at least. PLus, I only work on weekends, so that is going to ruin going to club meetings and stuff.

Hey FunRover, that is the type of info I wanted, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Private Iron said:
That is definately the way to go. I just need a fellow Rover owner to show me just way much these things can do before I go trying to show up someone else. I haven't done any real wheelin' since I had my jeep, and don't know anyone that is into it anymore.

Don't know if you are available, but there may be some guys heading out to Barnwell in Gilmer Texas this weekend. Drive out Sat. AM and camp and head back Sunday. Don't know if my truck will ready by the end of the week to go. If not this weekend we may try for next weekend. Gilmer is about 2 hours NE of Dallas.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Funrover said:
Well the first reason is the coils and the arms..... A lot of jeeps use leafs.. A great suspension, just not as flexable from the get-go...The arms and coils allow the axles fo move around more freely...The rear has a 3-link type set up and the front is a 4-link....The design is made to allow as mouch movement over an object as possible and still be road worthy.... Someone want to back me up on this.... I believe what I have said is true...
Yessir :drink1:

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to. Thanks for the invite. But, I have to work. I work every Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Kinda sucks, but I make a lot more money working on the weekend than the middle of the week. But I am always open to taking time off, I just have to plan it pretty early.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
What other ammunition do you need? Show him some of the older Camal Trophy series pics....

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You tell him one thing and just walk away. It will leave him thinking. It will haunt him while he sleeps.

"I understand the j##p thing. That's why I drive a land rover."

That's it. Plain and simple. Say no more.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Private Iron said:
He is just one of those guys, man, I am totally not a violent person, but he makes me what to beat the **** out of him just to teach him a lesson.
You must not think or do violence. It's animalistic, barbaric, primitive......just undo his sump plug. :D

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
roverX said:

Powerful, quite powerful.

·
Registered
734 Posts
roverX said:
You tell him one thing and just walk away. It will leave him thinking. It will haunt him while he sleeps.

Very Nice :drink1:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.