Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
While it's in P it might be different that's why investigations are needed... are you handy with electrics as to make continuity tests on the circuit?

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovsry
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not really haha. But the Ultragauge can read RPMs off the OBD port!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
While it's in P it might be different that's why investigations are needed... are you handy with electrics as to make continuity tests on the circuit?
What am I looking for in park? Just no fluctuations? What’s the tolerance for the fluctuations

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
What am I looking for in park? Just no fluctuations? What’s the tolerance for the fluctuations
read again post #19 ... no tolerance, the CPS reading must be linear

·
Registered
254 Posts
Return the iLand and buy a Nanocom.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Not normal. The idle must be steady

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not normal. The idle must be steady
Ok this is good, we’re making progress then! So are we saying the crank position sensor is bad then? My plan is to spray engine degreaser down there to clean the area up real well, disconnect the sensor, clean the sensor and the plug with QD cleaner and then reinstall. If I still have the same issue, I’ll buy another one and retry. I’m thinking maybe one of the pins is clogged with gunk from the install, because it was filthy down there.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright well I found this as I pulled my new Crank Position Sensor Out:

No idea what, or from where that little ring came from, but I’m guess that might be causing my problems. I’m cleaning everything up to make sure the connectors are clean and then I’ll reinstall.

Anyone know where that small spacer goes or came from?

·
Super Moderator
2,186 Posts
Looks like a reinforcement ring from a valve cover gasket.???
Regardless it shouldn’t be there and would likely goof up the sensor

·
very disco
1,762 Posts
Ominous to say the least!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update! That must have been what was gooning up the sensor! Cleaned everything real well before disassembly, and then cleaned all the connectors with some QD cleaner. I have a feeling it was that ring though. Runs like a top! Thank you everyone for the help!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts