Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone, I really need some help trying to figure out what is wrong with my car, I just don't know what to do anymore.

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 with 190,000 miles and the Bosch engine. It started making a small noise a couple of months ago, and it has just been getting worse, the noise goes with the compression on the car, I can't really describe it. It sounds identical to the noise in this video:

I located the noise to the exhaust manifold/front pipe area on the passenger (right) side. So then I ordered a used manifold and all new gaskets and replaced the right manifold, but the same exact noise was still there. I can feel the exhaust coming out from under the flange on the front pipe. This led me to believe that the front y-pipe flange on the underside was cracked open, so I ordered some new gaskets and am awaiting their arrival so I can pull the whole y-pipe off and look.

But now after finding that video I linked to above, and reading about how there are lot of head gasket issues with this car, I am unsure of what to do. I just bought a block tester and tested the cooling system, and there was no exhaust gases present.

Has anyone had this problem? Is this likely just an exhaust problem and not a bad head gasket, what should I do next?

Thanks for any help and also for all the great tutorials and posts that are on this site.
-Branick

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have a loose spark plug (by the sound in your video)
An easy trick to try and pinpoint a noise such as this is by using a length of rubber hose (2 - 3 feet) hold one end to your ear and probe the suspected area with other end. You should be able to pinpoint the source. If it is a loose plug you may even be able to see it moving. New plug / plugs would be advised and properly tightened (torqued)
Hope this helps.
Please post your results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked everything with an old garden hose and the only place the noise was really concentrated was under the rh exhaust manifold area, a few mechanics also checked the spark plugs and said they were all good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried taping up the area where I thought the pipe was cracked to see if it would stop the exhaust, but the exhaust kept coming out from that area. So after listening to that video and reading about head gasket problems I began to think its something more. Regardless, I will remove the pipe this week to find out for sure if its that or not. Thanks for your help, will keep you posted.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Does your disco have secondary air injection?
Is the video of your vehicle? Or just a video that you found that seems similar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No secondary air injection, and that is not my car in the video. It sounds extremely similar to that though. I started taking off my y-pipe today and will finish it up tomorrow, hopefully it is just a crack or hole in the flange.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could be a head gasket. I had similar happen on my 96. I thought it was an exhaust manifold but you could feel air coming out of the head gasket. When I pulled the heads you could see a line like a pencil lead would leave where it was blowing out. Made a loud racket for such a small leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after a few weeks in the shop, it is verified that it is a blown head gasket. Not sure what else I can do at this point, will either dump it or turn it into a summer project. With almost 200,000 miles I'm not even sure fixing it myself would be worth the time, thanks for your guys help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.