Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am following RAVE and trying to remove Gasket - inlet manifold - lower. I am stuck at step 18. Remove inlet manifold. I have already removed all 12 bolts. Could anyone share their experience on how to do it?
Thanks in advance.
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
I am following RAVE and trying to remove Gasket - inlet manifold - lower. I am stuck at step 18. Remove inlet manifold. I have already removed all 12 bolts. Could anyone share their experience on how to do it?
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 94633
Have you disconnected the fuel rail?

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
484 Posts
Yeah, get that rail & injectors off there. Shouldn't be anything but the inlet anymore. You'll have to pry some if the valley pan was set/installed properly because you'll have a little RTV at the corners.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel rail....did you mean the rectangular shape metal piece? The RAVE manual didn't mention that or the fuel injectors, but I will remove them if that makes it easier. The inlet manifold itself seems to be stuck to the engine block. If I am to pry it, where should I do it? I don't want to damage anything. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
Fuel rail....did you mean the rectangular shape metal piece? The RAVE manual didn't mention that or the fuel injectors, but I will remove them if that makes it easier. The inlet manifold itself seems to be stuck to the engine block. If I am to pry it, where should I do it? I don't want to damage anything. Thanks
Yep, on both sides. It connects at the back under the manifold kinda. Will spill some gas when disconnected so be ready for that. Then pry the manifold gently at the front corners being careful. If it feels like it won’t go, try a different spot

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know what you are up against-- after my local repair guy refused to work on my 99 Discovery II (I had a blown head gasket, very little space between piston and the atmosphere). I undertook the job myself. After many hours work, I took the head to Valley Head service here in the San Fernando Valley for a resurface, then got it all back together and all I got on startup was a big "CLUNK". I had to replace the engine with a used one. Personally, I have visions of going to England and being in a fox hunt with the designers of the intake manifold as the hunted. Not sure what I would do when I caught them, but it wouldn't be nice.
I have four studebakers, and I can replace a head gasket in a little over an hour, even on the supercharged Avanti.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts