Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the valley gasket on the 2001 disco II se 230,000 miles and I have it all torn down to the intake. The 12 bolts on the intake were pretty loose already, that can't be good. I am looking at the injector assembly and the fuel line feeds into the rear of the engine. I removed the four screws and I see the clips on the injectors. Now how do I remove them in order to remove the intake. This is part of the thread concerning the 1171 1174 codes (help me tom cruse, help me oprah whinfey). Same problem. I want a new valley gasket anyway in order to be water tight. My brother in-law suggested changing out my o-rings on my injectors. I would love to hear other suggestions with the engine torn down like this. What else should I re-new?

· Registered
172 Posts
I have my 4.6 torn apart right now. Going to do a lite rebuild. You might want to do the head gaskets, just while it's apart, unless you have before and put studs. But to remove the injectors and the fuel rail you will need two people. One on each side pull up and wiggle back and forth and side to side. It will take some mussel but you can get it out in one piece if you are careful.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the head gaskets, I really should do that as they have never been changed. If I wiggle the whole fuel injector assembly out in one piece will the fuel line still be connected and if so will there be enough length for me to put in aside so I can get busy with the gasket?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I figured it out, the hose is right under the coil packs and it just unsnaps from the injector line. That was easy. The whole assembly just lifts right off. Man O Man it was very dirty up under all that. Wow. It has been changed once at around 14000 miles, so 216000 miles ago. I guess I got my money out of that gasket. Here are some pics for you amusement.

Attachments

· certified idiot
694 Posts
In Pic 3 of the valves - thats a large amount of crap build up. May I ask what oil you are using?
good luck with the rebuild
cheers
Barri

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use rotella 15w 40, but for the first 120000 miles it was dealer serviced and I don't know what they used (that would have been a good question). I agree though, it is totally trashed on the inside. I did use an experimental additive for the pistol chambers at 105000 miles with "boron" called motorsilk. It was developed by NASA for rocket engines, though it failed in zero gravity and couldn't be used in the rocket engines. it forms a layer of very smooth yet super strong carbon on the inside walls of the piston chambers and removes friction. It did greatly improve my gas mileage (8 to 12%) and performance over the last 100000 miles and you would never know that my engine has that many miles from a performance perspective, minus the vacuum issues. I do think that the boron added to the mess on the valve springs and in the riser and cam chamber. If you notice the color is brown, not black on the walls of the valley but under the valve cover it is black. This is due to the heat. It doesn't get as hot in cam area as in the valve area. Boron is activated with heat. It adheres to hot things and forms a coating. While it is ugly its function out weighs its ugliness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.