Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 LR3 needs a new rear dif.

My mechanic & I are having difficulty sourcing a good quality used non-locking rear dif. The price difference between new & used is significant. The LR3 also needs other work and the best place to save a few $$$ is getting a used dif instead of new.

This price difference pretty much pushes me over the edge from "fix everything" to "fix nothing". Perhaps it's just time to replace the vehicle.

If anyone can point me to a source that has a 2005 LR3 non-locking rear dif in stock for ~$1,000, I would very much appreciate the tip.

Roverparts.com does not have them.
Roverlandparts.com does not have them.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnfowler,

I guess that I should have said refurbished...or low mileage used.

This vehicle gets less than 5k pretty easy miles per year (essentially, I drive it to & from work when it snows). There is a fair amount of other work that it needs, totaling a little over $5000. It has ~130k miles. It otherwise seems to be in good shape and I'd prefer to fix it and keep it, but I just can't get my head around spending more than half the value of the vehicle on a reasonably high mileage truck.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've got plenty, not used ones.

It's important to remember to change your differential fluid every 30k miles.

There is a new breather cap for the front out, it should be changed if it hasn't. The new one looks like an "L"

There is a new breather tube for the rear, it should also be changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.