Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Classic in great shape. i'm having a problem with my blower motor. Does anyone know if there's a fuse to check besides the one on the dash. I'm in the process of changing the motor if there's not. THANKS!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heater / Blower in a 91 classic...

Hi Frank, :wave:
The Blower gets its power through the heater/Air Cond relay, this relay needs two sources of power, one to engergize the relay from the Ignition key.(key needs to be on for the blower to work) Two, the blower power-source through the main fuse C9. If both these are in order then the blower motor should be getting power. The circuit is completed to ground by going through a resistor pack, these have been known to fail also.
The Heating & Air conditioning systems are pretty much all intergrated into the same system. The main fuse C9 (as you say) is in the main fuse box, but also check all the other Air Con fuses in the main box as there may be some cross connecting going on? B7, B8, B9
I also have a 91 Classic with some heater concerns.
My heater will only blow heat out of the wind sheild screen vents, what ever I select, I can only get cold air from dash & floor vents?
Has anyone else out there had this before?? :confused
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blower Motor

Andy:
On my model RR, the behavior you describe is caused by faulty distribution motor. This is the widget that controls the flaps that direct the airflow.
jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Jim...

Hello Jim,
What model/year is your RR. What you say would make sense why I cant get hot air from the dash or floor vents? I do get good flow on the floor & dash, but it is always very cold Canadian air...brrrrrr...
Thanks,
Andy :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
How amazing! I also have a 1991 RR that refuses to blow warm air from the dashboard vents. Trying to resolve this, I read the owner's manual and thought maybe my reading level just wasn't up to snuff as I couldnt follow the complex intructions ("if you want warm air here, move this switch up, this switch down, this one to the left..."). I have stared at the console and thought, Ahah thats how to do it, only to be thwarted again and again. I mean, honestly, who makes an HVAC control pannel so fiendishly complicated? I became convinced that Land Rover had simply determined it was unnecessary to blow warm air at the face. I reasoned that they had determined, with the same wisdom that they decided to remove CDL from US-model Discoveries for a few years, that since hot air rises, I should simply wait patiently for the interior to be warmed from the ground up? These and other thoughts...

Imagine how pleased I was to read that other 91 RR owners experience the same issue, and that there might actually be a cause such as a "distributor motor." Never mind that I can't find that part in the Atlantic British calalog!

So Jim, and Landy-Andy, is this really the problem, and where can i get a new motor?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 1991 RR and investigated blower issue. Mine is fine at level 1 and level 3 but not 2. Blower is in there deep, pray that's not the problem.

See http://www.endlessearth4wd.com/CORE/index.htm for pictures. This was core replacement but you get the idea.

Mine is most likely bad switch. I pulled the trim and control plate off yesterday and couldn't remove due to screws inaccessable without special tool.

I have had plenty of relay problems. So check all other things first.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Glenncof, do you know anything about this distribution motor thing?? Also, sounds like the rheostat in your switch is out. I say this bc its sounds to me that in position 1, the rheostat is at maximum resistance, and in position 3, its at no resistance, i.e. the blower motor is getting full power. To me it sounds like position 2 - medium resistance is not working, which may imply the rheostat is worn out. Dont know if you'd have to replace the whole switch or just that component.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heater blowing cold on face vents...

Hi Guys,
I have been reading up on the heater workings & studying the wiring diagram in the manual. I cant find any mention of a "distribution motor". :confused

It does seem that there is a separate heater motor that supplies a heat boost to the screen only (before the engine comes up to tempature).
Then the face grills need the hot water from the engine to blow warm air.
I have warm air on the screen but none on the face grills.
I am still trying to work out why this is so??? I'm thinking that the screen boost heater is working, (giving heat to the screen) but the main heater unit supplying the grills & feet is not working at all. Someone suggested a "air-locked" heater unit? Does anyone know the procedure for bleeding the system of air?
What other reasons would make a heater blow cold only? My fan speed switch works well on all speeds.
Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
AC Heater Mess also

I've been reading the great heater control capers here and want to ad one of my own. I'm with the rest of you and cant get heat to blow anywhere but on the screen. I cant get the fan to blow if I have the controls set to the screen or the floor. If I have it set to vent or coming straight out of the dash all fan switch positions work. If I switch the slide switch to the AC(snow* thing) position the fans all shut off. So no fans in AC or Recirculate or Defrost, only on blowing fresh air in your face. Im wondering if there is another switch in the dash in the AC position that is shot or something and cutting power to the fans. Could this be the risistor pac causing this for me? Its a pain in the A## but kind of fun so far! PS here's a pic of my RR. Just bought it about 2 months ago. Got it for 2600 bucks from a guy in Portland. only 96K on it!

pat in Oregon

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
There are 4 or 5 flaps inside the heater box.
Some of them are controled by levers.
One is vacuum controlled.

The blower motor blowing on one setting and not another is most likely the resistor pack. My 93 did the same thing. 1 and 3 not 2 and then only on 3. Which is no resistors to slow the fans.

I'm not sure where the pack is but I'm in no hurry as I just finished the heater core in October and am in no hurry to go back in there.

This is a pic of one of the ends of the lever.

If this clip slips. You don't have full function of the lever and thus don't close or open the associated flap.

Here is another from the other side. With the clip open.

I have a write up about the heater core on my website.
If you absolutely want to read more about it.
http://www.okierover.com/heatercore.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old Rover Dude

FRANK , Landy Andy is dead on with the blower supply issues,the motor is no longer avail from LR but brit atlantic has a nice kit,expect to take the better part of a weekend to change it . :eek:

Landy Andy, classics have what I consider an added on ac system that hangs under the dash,depending on the selected settings either the ac fans under the dash will be on or the heater blower,(two seperate blowers) if you always feel cold air check the fresh air flap operation.remove the center grill outside on the cowl,it should only oped with requested ac or the setting next the ac snowflake that has a blue and white line(blue indicating fresh air)if no operation is present its controled by a vac servo and servo switch mounted to the heater housing,(see a manual) or see if the vac servo lost its vac supply.its the ball mounted under the front of your air filter snorkel under the hood. :drink1:

Everyone, There are no electric flap motors on classics ! :confused

Everyone, if the heat dont get hot or the ac dont get cold, remove the climate panel and see if the lower left control is still attached to the little white plastic slide, if its broke the ac or heat wont work properly. its a control for ac,fresh air ,recirculation . :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts