Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be stupid and I need help. I have a 2003 Disco 2 with a bosch 4.6 engine. Trying to get the engine out for a fresh rebuild problem is how do I get the torque converter bolts out? I took the bottom plate with the three bolts off but can not access bolts from that hole Also I have removed the rubber plug from the drivers side of the transmission / Oil pan assembly but I can not see the bolts. I can only see/feel the area between the ring gear and the raised ring that is drilled out can not get any closer to the center line of the crank to have access to the bolts.

HELP I missed something but what was it

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have all material says that I should be able to access torque converter bolts through the access port that I have described but on my case I am unable to reach the needed bolts I was wondering it there was another way or if there is something Im missing

·
Registered
233 Posts
you have to turn the engine over at the crank and remove the bolts as they pass within reach through your inspection cover.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
If you have not done so yet, remove the starter motor. As I recall that is the best point of access.
And of course, you need to rotate the engine to the position that these are lined up (there are 4 equally spaced around the rotation)

·
Registered
356 Posts
yeah, there is an access hold by the starter. put a wrench on the crank and spin it until you see the bolt in the hole.
there are just 4 of them. i had to hold the crank at the same time while trying to loosen mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replys but for some reason I still dont get it!!!!

I have removed the inspection plate from the bottom of the transmission ( 3 bolts hold it in place)
I have removed the rubber plug on the drivers side
I have removed the starter.

When I look/feel through the starter and rubber plug hole I can see/feel the teeth that the starter engages next moving toward the center line of the crank there is a raised ring what is machined/ drilled this is all that I can see/ feel. how do I get access to the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate.I know that there are 4 triangular cut outs closer to the center line of the crank and inside of the triangles is where you access the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flexplate.

Is there another whole to access these bolts I am missing?

When I look through the bottom inspection plate i can see the ends of the bolts that hold the torque converted to the flexplate just can not get to heads of the bolts. (other side of the flexplate.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Have you rotated the engine by hand and watched for the bolts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.