Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To some people this may be the most ignorant thing you have seen, but how does a cdl work? I just don't get it, the rover is all time four wheel drive, so the transfer is always powering the front and back axles. Then there is the matter of the differentials being purely mechanical do what does the center differential lock does? I need some education. Thanks

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
60 Posts
The computer is involved with traction control, not the diffs. I'll try to avoid getting into a discussion about torque, which is sometimes difficult to explain or grasp.

Without traction control (computer) and wiith front, rear and center diffs all open, you can get stuck (unable to move) if only one wheel loses traction. Locking the center diff makes both front and rear drive shafts rotate at the same rate. The net result is you'll be stuck only if one front AND one rear wheel lose traction.

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Yes there are quite a few options for locking differentials (Posi Trac) for a Land Rover.

ARB, Kam, Detroit and Ashcroft all make them sometimes you can find them used for as little as $400 but for a new your looking at $600-900ish.

Lucky8llc.com - Lockers & Accessories for Land Rovers

· Registered
202 Posts
The computer is involved with traction control, not the diffs. I'll try to avoid getting into a discussion about torque, which is sometimes difficult to explain or grasp.

Without traction control (computer) and wiith front, rear and center diffs all open, you can get stuck (unable to move) if only one wheel loses traction. Locking the center diff makes both front and rear drive shafts rotate at the same rate. The net result is you'll be stuck only if one front AND one rear wheel lose traction.
Perfect example is my tc doesn't work due to 3 amigos, so all the power gets sent to the wheel with the least amount of resistance, if that wheel is in the air im stuck. I upgraded to a locking t-case a while back, i still get stuck from time to time but not as much compared to as before i installed a locking t-case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.