Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 1995-1997 Discovery in the $4500-$6500 range. What do I need to look for? What is considered high milage? And what kind of milage can I expect from a LR that has been taken care of? What are common problems with vehicles in the 100k-150k range (that seems to be the milage on most of my price range). And last are the LR's easy to work on for someone who is mechanically proficient? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As a general quick guide when deciding on the purchase of a vehicle (irrespective of mileage) is to look at the condition of the vehicle's interior, upholstry, dash, carpet, panels etc. If these are in good/very good condition, continue to check the rest of the vehicle. However, if the interior is in poor condition, move on. The reason for this is, if someone looks after their vehicle, the inside of it will reflect this fact and the chances are that the rest of the vehicle, engine and body will have been well maintained.

·
Registered
317 Posts
ekim,
Disco has a good point about the interior condition matching the exterior condition.
I'm also keeping an eye out for a similar disco, but I'll only look at manual transmissions, so you can imagine, pickings are slim.
I have a checklist of all the things I look at when checking out a used vehicle, I'll usually spend about an hour going over it. Remember, you can also take the vehicle to a reputable garage or a LR dealer for a once over for about $100 USD to have them give you the skinny on what it needs, this can also be used as a bargaining chip with the current owner.
From what I've read, it seems that the main problem areas with these discos is the ABS acting up, cruise not working, window and sunroofs not opening. Larger problems, such as head gasket leaks and transfer cases seizing up seem to be to stem from a lack of regular maintenance, but certainly, a compression test and a check of the fluid level in the TC wouldn't hurt...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
523 Posts
Besides what has been posted,look also for leaks in the engine area,mainly oil and coolant,as LR are quite famous for that.
Carlos :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts