Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, running behind lately and didn't have a chance to get the oil changed in the Disco, so bit the bullet and took it to the Stealer. Don't you just hate $70 oil changes!

Anyway, they were also good enough to give me a $4000 repair list of other things that need to be done. (Would you believe that I have some oil leaks that they can clear up for a mere $2600??!!) The other $1400 estimate was to replace the radiator.

I guess I have a leak on the passenger side of the rad. From discussions with the Stealer, the sides of the rad must be plastic. Not sure exactly where the leak is, but does anyone know if these can typically be repaired? Or am I going to have to replace the whole rad? Looks like I can get a replacement up here in Canada for around $635 vs the $880 Stealer price.

Any suggestions on what can be done to repair my existing radiator?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Rover radiators did have leaking problems on some years models. If you want to save money, order a new radiator from Atlantic British and install it your self, it is not a bad job.
For what it is worth, the dealers didn't build your truck so why should they get bad mouthed because they are doing what any other shop would do, that being telling you about problems with your truck.
Living in California, the independent shops charge about the same labor rates as do the dealers.
Mike J.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, they didn't build the truck, but their shop rates here seem excessive. I got a bill for $75 in labour to replace the serpentine belt, plus another $46 for the part. Should have known better (my fault) and replaced it myself. Same with the $30 in labour on top of the parts, shop fees, etc to do an oil change. Again, my fault, should have known better.

I always find the markup on parts to be excessive as well at the dealers.

Anyway, my question is really one of whether or not the radiators can be repaired or if I will need to swap it out completely. I'll do it myself, as I can't see paying them $300 in labour to do it!

· Registered
1,506 Posts
montaggio said:
Yep, they didn't build the truck, but their shop rates here seem excessive. I got a bill for $75 in labour to replace the serpentine belt, plus another $46 for the part. Should have known better (my fault) and replaced it myself. Same with the $30 in labour on top of the parts, shop fees, etc to do an oil change. Again, my fault, should have known better.

I always find the markup on parts to be excessive as well at the dealers.

Anyway, my question is really one of whether or not the radiators can be repaired or if I will need to swap it out completely. I'll do it myself, as I can't see paying them $300 in labour to do it!
75 bucks in labor is cheap... remember, they do have overhead...

Now I agree with you that you should've changed the belt yourself. With respect to the rad, you can have it re-cored (some people swear by it) or you can just replace it. Rads for a 96DI go for $500 plus (AB) but I purchased a used one for $100 here in NY. You can also find them for around $375 at Rad Supreme (Nilssen brand).

Good luck,

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
The problem with rebuilding, recoring them, is that the plastic tanks get heat cracks from wear and tear and that makes them questionable for rebuilding.
Radiators are big deals for Rovers, if it fails and then engine overheats, now you are looking at big bucks.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
If I do the math right seventy five bucks Canadian aint that bad somewhere around fifty five bucks maybe. or less.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Just replace the radiator. Source the parts from Rovers North or AB, and do it yourself. Relatively easy job to do.

Oh and by the way $75 isn't bad whether it is Canadian or US! The shop here is $125 an hour!:eek:

beezel just because $75 Canadian is like $55 US doesn't mean anything to someone in Canada! It's not like they are getting paid in US money!:D

Now if someone down here were to go to Canada to have some work done......well that's another story!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.