Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting this Rover every inch of my ownership and need someone experienced with distributor Discos in Minnesota that will not charge a million dollars to check it out.

Problem is that I do not have a check engine light on but this truck is really running like crap, getting very bad mileage, backfiring, etc... I can elaborate at length on what I know and what I have replaced thus far to a potential savior of my sanity.

Help.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Post it up so we know what you've got.

FWIW-those engines require something serious to turn the CEL on, other than that, they're usually stupid simple to fix.

Age of ignition components? Fuel pressure?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very low idle in drive at a stoplight (500 or so), it felt as though it had a huge cam in it. When I set off it went but occasionally and sporadically sputtered like it had run out of gas. It also backfired through the intake when I let off the accelerator and occasionally through the exhaust.

This was a surprise to me, happening all of a sudden, and I cant stand backfiring

I checked the timing first thing and it was spot on.

I quickly grew impatient as I am currently sick and it is very cold in the garage. So, I started messing with things I shouldn't have

To remedy this I adjusted the base idle, but I know I must have messed it up so that needs to be reset, and I pulled the plug to the coolant temp sensor and left it off. Now my idle is fine, or at least better, but now at lower rpms under 35-40mph or so it sputters every 5-10 seconds like it ran out of fuel for a split second which gets worse as it warms up. I also fiddled with the maf to attempt to lean it. After fiddling with it for about 1 hour it took all I had to not set it on fire, as I said, I am sick and impatient with it right now.

I replaced the fuel pump, injectors, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ignition control module, coil, idle control valve, all vacuum lines, vacuum advance, serviced the centrifugal weights, tps, maf sensor, O2 sensors, all exhaust gaskets, resealed the upper intake, all parts replaced were OEM no china crap in my truck.

I think I am going to loose my mind

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
LOFL! You do know OEM parts are made by the low-bidder? I can hardly believe ANYONE would buy a new OE MAF sensor for a Lucas truck. What did you pay, $1250?

How many miles?

Sounds like a badly worn timing chain and camshaft to me.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
In the list of parts replaced I didn't see.......a fuel filter.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
If you use the right combination of expletives ANYTHING will submit to your will.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did replace the fuel filter and it was a bugger to get off, but I forgot to mention it. Rust always heeds to enough PB Blaster and/or Transmission fluid

I did not buy a brand new Maf sensor, as said that would be ridiculous, I bought 2 used ones as the first used one was junk but the second was good and I cleaned it thoroughly with maf cleaner, total cost, $140 for both.

I hope it isn't the chain... Is there anyone near me who can take a look?

I have 132K miles on the truck.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
132K is too low for the chain to be worn out-in most cases.

Of the list of parts you "replaced" which were used and which new?

Fuel pressure?

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
While your scrounging up a fuel pressure gauge and remembering which parts are new or used, is there anything else that you've done that you haven't mentioned previously? For instance, a new fuel cap.

What's the condition of the vacuum hose to the brake booster? The hose from the passenger side valve cover? Hell....all vacuum hoses for that matter.

Have you checked that the spark plug wires are in the correct order? Since you replaced the fuel pump, did you replace just the pump or the entire assembly? Have you checked fuel line connections for leaks?

Smell fuel, burned or raw?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have a crappy fuel pressure gauge, but it reads 32-36 flipping back and forth but that is probably the gauge.

Maf and TPS are both used, as are the Bosch Fuel injectors but they were tested and ultrasonic cleaned. Everything else is new.

Right now I cannot remember anything else that I replaced.

The truck smells like fuel, it's very rich.

All vacuum lines and bigger lines including the T with the little brass piece are new except for the booster line, but that is in good shape

Wires are correct as I haven't touched them for a couple of months and this happened all of a sudden

I replaced the fuel pump as an assembly

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Get a fuel pressure reading with the ignition turned off if you would please.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got my truck into Top Gear Autoworks here in Minnesota and they found a seizing injector, of the newish supposedly tested ones I bought. I had that replaced with a new Bosch injector and all of the O rings, ordered some lug nuts, bought a shirt that says, "I fondle european cars", and tightened the left down pipe to manifold coupling. $600.

Afterwords I was told that the intake had an air leak that was causing low RPM issues, after it was all back together, not because of what they did, it was the lower portion.

Any advice on sealing it without taking everything apart again and more?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Dood!

I sell full sets of BRAND NEW injectors for $375 shipped!

To fix the intake leak, replace the intake gasket! Yes, I have them in stock and can ship tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I know I should replace it, but right now I am going to lay off the truck and see what happens. It is sheer laziness and I want to see if I can make it through to 2011. Right now it is hardly noticeable, but it is one of the few odds and ends left before everything works perfect.

The list of broken things

Blower motor speed selector is funky
Intake Gasket is broken
Steering box is a little loose
I need 1 more brake caliper
All tie rod ends
One of the front tires busted a cord or something (Replacing those tomorrow)

And the clock is not adjusted properly

That is all I can think of, everything else seems to work including all the lights, windows, and sunroofs.

I will contact you when I feel like diving into the intake job.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
blower motor speed selector is funky
========================
switch has failed. Common, but very expensive to repair. I have a truck with four toggle switches hanging out fo the dashboard.
========================
intake gasket is broken
================
fix this soon as it can cause some major problems-overheating, lean conditions, inability for the ems to control the engine, etc.
================
steering box is a little loose
==================
rarely can this be adjusted out, better off replacing with reman.
==================
i need 1 more brake caliper
==================
when you're ready, call me, i can get new for about the price of reman.
==================
all tie rod ends
===================
$18/ea, almost always in stock.

One of the front tires busted a cord or something (replacing those tomorrow)

and the clock is not adjusted properly

that is all i can think of, everything else seems to work including all the lights, windows, and sunroofs.

I will contact you when i feel like diving into the intake job.
pt!

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
It's a 2 1/2 - 3 hour job and you get to take a peek at your engine guts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what may be a 3 hour job to the veterans on this board is 6 hours to me. Keep in mind that I am not loosing coolant, it seems to be a rare Vacuum only leak with no coolant loss whatsoever. When I get that far down I spend lots of time second guessing and perfecting my work so I never have to be in there again. Right now I am just Rover'd out though. I have spent sooooo much money and time on this truck that I might as well have bought a LR3.

Currently I have a 1982 Maserati Quattroporte that needs my attention as the Webbers are buggered up from the effects of time and lack of use. I will come back around, but it will take time. I am not saying that I will never get to it, but a month or so from now sounds more like it. Also, the Webbers take priority as the car will not run at all with them as is(not to say that I use it in the winter though). Plus, you may think rover parts are expensive, check out a quad Webber rebuild kit/set for a car from a 1000 vehicle production run. That will set me back quite a bit in Rover money. Also, a bit of sacrilege coming, I like the Maserati allot more, even if it cannot go off-road, it still does 185 or somewhere therabouts :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aside from that, for the blower speed selector, I like the toggle switch idea, It sounds old fashioned and interesting. Can you elaborate on that a little?

I would love a heater control via switches, heck, make all the buttons into old fashioned aircraft switches poorly labeled like the E-Type and I would be content. :D

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
You love brutal cars to work on, I've seen the plenum covering your carbs. Quattroporte sounds so much better than - four door.

I understand you mind set, nothing wrong with it but it defeats the utility of what your driving - a Disco in this case - nothing rare about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts