Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got a 2002 p38 Range Rover and the wires to the ignition is cut the whole assembly is messed up. Well i do have a keyless push start kit..would that work if i relayed it? Since its a negative ignition i was wondering how would i go bypass it if it would work etc?

·
very disco
1,477 Posts
The only reliable way to accomplish that is with an auto starter kit, I’m not sure if your kit has the logic or just he hardware. If you’ve got the full setup, yes using a relay to convert positive output to negative will work fine, except for the key transponder piece.

for that you’ll either need to stuff the broken off head of a key into steering column to convince the truck it’s a keyed start, but then anybody with physical access to the cabin could start your rig. The other option is a DEI 456T or the like, which can emulate the transponder when allowed (say alarm disarmed, etc) but won’t otherwise trick the truck.

assuming you’ve got that all sorted, you still have the ignition lock. You’d have to permanently disable that, or still insert your key and turn before push button starting.

what model of push button starter kit do you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9 piece keyless entry start push button question is steering column is loose, but looking around i noticed relays and fuses so i think he already put fuses in. But i have no idea what they go to. Man its a headache forsure i try to get an electrician to do it and he didnt even want to touch it.. And another wanted to charge me 800 and i get the parts.. Ill send some pictures.. I can get the motor to crank but it stays cranking tho.. Its defiantly a project. Think after this there would be nothing i couldnt do. Lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just throwing this out there....
You bought a p38 with ignition screwed up... really... screwed up...
If I knew a mechanic that told me he could fix it for 800$... I’d go for it ...
specially if I couldn’t ....
strictly an observation ...

·
very disco
1,477 Posts
Sweet Jesus. I used to install car stereos and alarms for a living a long time ago... I encountered a lot of **** and botched installs where a customer installed their own garbage, then asked us to properly install better equipment.
It’s a bit of a time suck, but I would recommend fully removing the aftermarket gear, and reassembling the ignition to OE spec. You’ll learn quickly where all the wires go, what they do, and the type of signal/voltage they carry.
Once you’ve regained factory operation (maybe not the actual ignition switch), it will be far easier and more sensible to install the aftermarket gear.

Reactions: mikieman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i mean if i had 800 bucks just to give like that then i would. But i see this as an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of wiring a truck lol (nah im just broke) i wish i did go with the 800 now when i had it. So i should take the wires out and start from scratch? Then wire aftermarket swtich? Or hard wire the wires straight to where they gottah go like straight to battery, straight to starter, striaght to ignition coil, etc..... ?

·
very disco
1,477 Posts
I’m sure that with a soldering iron and some shrink wrap, you could restore the wiring to its intended configuration in 30 awkward minutes, all the while gaining intel on the intended circuits and operations.

once you’re able to start the truck normally (albeit with a screwdriver lol), then it will be easier to install the starter kit. If you install now and it doesn’t work, it’ll beg the question “is the truck bad or your installation bad?”

Reactions: mikieman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lmao good one. Yeah imma get it down. So for me im dyslexic for real for real. So give me an hour mybad 2.... If dont start im defiantly blaming my installation skills and im working on just the ignition connections correct i got this lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lmao good one. Yeah imma get it down. So for me im dyslexic for real for real. So give me an hour mybad 2.... If dont start im defiantly blaming my installation skills and im working on just the ignition connections correct i got this lol
excellent choice...,
I would have also suggested that option... I always feel a good poke..,
Will get someone going...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts