Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 06 LR3 (V8) with 101,000 miles. I just bought a 3500 pound boat which would be a 3000 mile round trip. I've owned the LR3 for about 6 years and never had motor or tranny issues, but the air suspension compressor has failed twice.

I'm debating between various options to get the boat home. One is to drive the LR3 to pick it up - this option is the cheapest which is about $1k lower than having it shipped (excluding 3 days of my driving time and other wear/tear).

In your opinion:

1) would you trust a 06 LR3 with 101k miles to do this non-stop drive reliably?

2) although the brochure says the LR3 can tow 7500 pounds, would towing a 3500lbs boat for 1500 miles straight be hard on the truck?

3) is 1k$ saving enough to offset wear/tear on the engine, brakes, tires, etc? Would you guys do it, or just pay the incremental 1k$ to have it delivered? Note there are other factors, such as needing to otherwise wire the money for the boat sight unseen.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Go get your boat. Unless you're dragging this thing through the jungle, 1500 miles on the interstate with a boat hanging off of your bumper isn't going to kill your truck.

Just make sure all of your maintenance is up to date before you go, keep the speeds reasonable, and you should be fine.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I would agree that as long as it is well maintained and driven sensibly you should do fine.
Give it a good once over or have it to a mechanic you trust and have a general inspection if you can't do it yourself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got back from the 5000 km round trip, from Calgary Alberta to Phoenix and back.

Overall, everything went very well and gave me even a greater appreciation of the LR3 quality. The boat trailer was actually closer to 5000lbs, and even up the mountains the LR3 never struggled even once. I was also impressed that even when climbing long steep mountains, the temp guage never even budged once.

I travelled 90% of the trip back at 60 mph. I definitely noticed the weight when stopping and starting but once cruising it was like nothing was there - engine idled on flats at about 1800rpm. The worst was wind gusts which really would throw me around.

But even worse was the GAS MILEAGE. One the trip up (with no boat) I averaged 21 mpg but when towing it was almost half at 13 mpg. That is about as bad as my H2, but the difference is the gas tank in the LR3 is smaller, so I basically was stopping to refuel about every hour or so.

But overall, I was very impressed. The handling was great, power was great, braking was great, auto levelling suspension was great. Definitely recommend using the LR3 for towing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.