Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started today on my overhaul. New oil pump, New Heads, Master Brake Cyl rebuild and a new rear wiper arm for good measure. Upon tearing things down it was obvious I had trouble right from the get go...(pic 1) Oil coming from my air intake was not what I wanted to see. After that, when I took the valve cover off (pic 2), I was even more shocked! The oil build up is crazy. I always change my oil and filter on avg every 4k miles and use Rotella 15-40 with a Mobil 1 filter. I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the build up in the valves is from a bad oil pump. My oil pressure lately has been pretty sporadic but never less than 15 at a stop. My CEL came on a few days ago and read misfire in Cyl 1, and today on my way home from last drive, it was blinking when I pulled in the driveway (Horrible spot for CEL, I can barely see it behind my steering wheel).

Any how, I have everything torn down but cannot get the heads off. I cannot break the bolts loose and fear I may have rounded one bolt. ( I stopped immediately after I slipped off that one and put tools away, it was late and I was tired.) I was trying to look in the Rave manual but cannot verify that the bolt is a 16mm. It seems a tad too loose but 15mm is too small. Is this by chance an SAE left over from the Buick motor?

I knew I needed a new Head Gasket, but wow. I could be in real trouble here....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
To me it looks like inadequate oil changes, if not you previous owner? Should be interesting once you do get the heads off, sorry no advice to add about the head bolts, are you using hand tools or air tools?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inadequate oil changes would be an easy out, but that's not the case. When I changed the cover gaskets a few years back, it was way cleaner than this. I didn't try my air tools yet ( I need to get metric sockets for it ) I may try that tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Only other thing that come to my mind is p.c.v.system being plugged/ not working properly. The crud on the throttle plates go along with that theory i believe. Head bolts are always awkward and TIGHT. Using hand tools there is a strong possibility that as you are trying to turn it loose you are also pushing the socket off of being at a right angle to the bolt head which will cause it to slip

·
Registered
770 Posts
inadequate oil changes would be an easy out, but that's not the case. When I changed the cover gaskets a few years back, it was way cleaner than this. I didn't try my air tools yet ( I need to get metric sockets for it ) I may try that tomorrow.
Mine were a bugger. The air tools just broke the sockets. Ended up getting a massive breaker bar and it did the trick.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
PM me with your number, you are going to need some direction with this. By the way, your oil pump did not cause that build up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you... again, Mike! Your knowkedge and help is always appreciated. I found a slighty clogged hose that may have caused my issue with oil. Im going to take your advice and drop the oil pan today
and ckean it and the pick up and make sure all is well down there before I start the reassembly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you are referring to one of the 2 hoses from the valve cover, replace them both cause when they are old they get soft and can stop the flow of air.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike. I'll go grab them today. Also I was curious about the valve on top of the right side rocker cover. I cannot blow through it, but I can pass some compressed air through it. Anyone know if this this normal, fixable, replaceable....?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Not normal, try some carb spray if that doesn't fic it then you need a new oil separator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the rounded bolt use a 1/2" drive twist socket with a cheater bar and a helper putting downward pressure on the fastener as you turn the wrench. Seems like I remember the stretch bolt being SAE instead of metric. There are both on our motors when you start tearing into them. Definitely need to validate it prior to purchasing the twist socket and refitment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Distrovol. I actually went a bought a nice new set of 1/2 sockets and that did the trick with my big ratchet. (aside from fitting in up against the fire wall for the back bolts).

That being said, everything today was going great. Dropped the pan and it was clean as can be and so was the screen. Got the new heads put on... a bit back breaking but thank you again, Mike, the head bolt lubricant made all the difference. Everything was going to good though!!! I put the rocker shaft assy on and per Rave CD : "Fit rocker shaft bolts and progressively tighten to 40 Nm (30 lbf.ft)." Well I snapped the third bolt. Needless to say I ahve to go the Dealer tomorrow and get new ones.... I can't order them, I need my truck back! The other bolts that say "remove and discard", I have! These said nothing of the sort. Word to the wise, REPLACE THESE DONT REUSE THEM!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts