Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neutral safety switch went out this weekend completely out of the blue. My classic is my only way of getting to school, and currently I’m starting it by popping the hood and touching a wire to the positive battery terminal. I also don’t have $260 to buy a new one. I don’t love the idea of simply bypassing the switch because I feel like it’s just wrong to ignore a safety system, but it’s what I think I’ll have to do for a while.
Does anyone know where to find an affordable neutral safety switch? I could go junk yard diving but it’s going to be difficult to find any sort of replacement part that way. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
very disco
663 Posts
You could bypass it with a momentary switch. That way you must be physically (and intentionally i hope) bypassing during start condition.

It's also quite possible that you could refurbish the switch. Unless the internal action of the switch is compromised (which it often isn't), simply bending the lever back into shape can work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dang dude. That part doesn't have much variety does it. That's a bummer...
The least expensive I've found is at Rock Auto. A Standard Motor Products NS-470 for $250
Roverlandparts didn't have anything that old either.
Junkyard maybe? Probably get it for a few bucks that way. And it's pretty unlikely for that part to be bad on a junkyard model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kidding. Thanks for the search though! Not many Range Rovers out here in Idaho, so junkyard finds are always difficult too

·
very disco
663 Posts
Rock Auto is a scam anyway, their prices are low, but they rape you on shipping, so unless you're buying a buuuuuuunch of stuff with combined shipping, it's usually a losing proposition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could bypass it with a momentary switch. That way you must be physically (and intentionally i hope) bypassing during start condition.

It's also quite possible that you could refurbish the switch. Unless the internal action of the switch is compromised (which it often isn't), simply bending the lever back into shape can work.
Oh really? Awesome I’ll look into that. Definitely would save me some cash.

·
very disco
663 Posts

less than $10 to your door. just install it somewhere that your left hand can press it while your right hand keys the ignition.

i'm assuming that you've got some wire, electrical tape, butt connectors, and female spade connectors. even if you didn't, you could buy it all for <$20 and rig it up in 20min.

i'd install maybe on the steering column shroud, it would be inexpensive to replace when you outgrow the mod (-;

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

less than $10 to your door. just install it somewhere that your left hand can press it while your right hand keys the ignition.

i'm assuming that you've got some wire, electrical tape, butt connectors, and female spade connectors. even if you didn't, you could buy it all for <$20 and rig it up in 20min.

i'd install maybe on the steering column shroud, it would be inexpensive to replace when you outgrow the mod (-;
That sounds really doable. I could pretty easily conceal it too. And if/when I go to sell the thing I could pretty easily just replace the shroud and the safety switch. Also makes me feel a little bit better about bypassing the safety feature knowing that with that momentary switch I’m essentially being just as safe.
What I’m going to try to do is see if I can’t fix that safety switch myself like you recommended, and if not I’ll simply order the momentary switch and install it in its place. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I jumpered out the interlock switch with a momentary push button. View attachment 91508 View attachment 91508
Definitely what I’m going to do. Still safe, but not $260. Arguably safer than stock. Also a secret theft prevention method in some ways. (I always say if someone wants to steal my rover, then good luck getting it to even start in the first place). Thanks for the pic.

·
very disco
663 Posts
Well played!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
If your mirrors aren’t working along with cruise control
The fuse block under the passenger seat... check the second or third fuse from the left....
Also
Nice lookin rover there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your mirrors aren’t working along with cruise control
The fuse block under the passenger seat... check the second or third fuse from the left....
Also
Nice lookin rover there
Never thought about it since neither are features I use day to day. I’ll do this soon. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts