Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First let me say that this is a great forum, and I'm so glad I've found it. This is my first Land Rover, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! I just bought it with 50k miles. Here's my first list of questions for you:

How do I use the driving lights? These are Land Rover branded, set into the brush guard. I have an owners manual for the vehicle, but there's no mention of those lights, so maybe it's not the right manual.

Can I put rear jump seats in it? If so, do you know of a good source? I found an online retailer, but it says they are only for models with rear air... mine does not have rear air.

The passenger power seat adjustment is broken and dangling from the console. It still functions, but I'd like to replace it. Do you know where I might find one?

Anyone know if the factory sound system has an auxiliary input anywhere? Back of the head unit or on the amplifier, maybe? I'd like to be able to plug in my iPod for skip-free off-roading.

I think that's all for now... any and all help is greatly appreciated! I'm very excited about this car!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured Out the Lights

My neighbor figured out the lights... car needs to running, headlights on, lamp button pressed, then hit the brights.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found Power Seat Bezel

Slowly but surely, I'm finding the answers to all my own questions. I found a replacement bezel for my broken one, along with a lightbulb for the clock and a pull/hook for my sunroof shade at roverconnection.com :clap:

·
Registered
21 Posts
for future reference...
the replacement clock bulb can be purchased at an auto parts store such as carquest or napa...
It's a Wagner#17035-$3.69 for a 2 pack

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx!

Wow, I'm not alone afterall! Thanx so much, taylorbob1. I'll be sure to check a regular autoparts store when the bulb burns out again.

My third brake light and a rear fog light is out, so I'll swing by and see if I can get those bulbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eBay Jump Seats

Thanx, Disco1! Yeah, I've been checking eBay for misc stuff. Those are the wrong color, so I'm gonna cross my fingers and wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seeking advice

Errant what do you think of your vehicle? I am 99% sure I will be buying a 98 Disco LSE this weekend after a test drive. It has 89k miles on it, but I plan on turning it over after 5 years. Let me know what you think about the buying/ shopping process, and what possibly to look for when testing. I'm looking forward to owning off road!

·
Registered
21 Posts
my '98 LE

I purchased a '98 LE (95K miles) from a private party last month for $8500. I looked a long time and feel that I got the best price available. Most were well above $10K and in far worse shape.
Some hints:
makes sure that all the service has been done.
that includes 90K service
timing chain replacement
brakes (or atleast knowledge of what's been done on them. they seem to have noise problems)
exhaust manifold leaks/failure (I believe that there was a recall because mine were replaced by previous owner at no charge)

I looked at several that had obvious timing chain noises and exhaust manifold leaks.
Also, check all electrical guages and functions and be prepared to fix as needed. I had to go thru and replace lights , switches, and the like. And this was on a vehicle that i consider in excellent condition.

Finally, they all seem to leak oil. Even a small drip here or there. At least the one's I looked at.

I'm a bit fanatical about everything working properly in my vehicles. But my '98 LE works and runs great right now (knock on wood).

·
Registered
454 Posts
At what mileage should the chain be replaced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had my timing chain checked at 100,000 (had the timing chain cover gasket replaced), looked fine (but was warned by the mechanic before he got in there that if it looked bad he was going to replace it) good friend and I trust him. Didn't need it, said it was probably because it wasn't punch and go in traffic alot (you know, the rabbit starts) same with the transmission.

I spent some time replacing lights too, if it doesn't work right off...use some contact cleaner. Many people let them burn out and never replace or they go and have expensive labor work done trying to get them to light up. I have a work shop manual and now mine looks like a Christmas tree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts