Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I think this site seems to have alot of useful info, more so than some of the other Rover sites. I am new to the brand but not repairs.
So just picked up a 2003 disco (last night)with all the goodies. What I mean by goodies is check engine light, oil pressure light and what I think is valve train noises. They are not there until it warms up and once they are there they go away under load. So I am planning on oil pump and cover and maybe lifters? I am new to the brand but in my previous life was a Toyota mechanic and worked for several shops doing everything from dealership work to independent offroad shops doing SOA swaps lockers and emissions legal fuel injected v8 swaps. So the reason I mention this is I know my way around an engine and am looking for info specific to these vehicles.

I have read a few things about the disco 2 and looks like I will need a scanner. Is there a specific one that would work for all systems I.E. (engine codes, ABS, and others)? Also any info on fixing these for good (reliable) would be great.
Also have searched for the scanner question but haven't found a specific answer.
Thanks for any insight looking forward to learning about all the things that everyone poo poos these vehicles about and build a sweet land rover!

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Hi, exclusively for the engine any cheap OBD2 reader will give you the P codes to point you in the right direction, but if beside the engine you want full coverage for the other systems too(ABS, suspension, transmission, ACE, airbags, security/BCU - this is very important) you'll need a dedicated tester which is not cheap, check out the market in your area but the only 100% reliable tools for a D2 are as follows:
- Hawkeye (bearmach)
- Lynx (britpart)
- Nanocom Evo (bbs) - this is the best in the SLABS and BCU programming area which is very important cos the immobiliser can be a real pain from time to time, there are some cheaper tools available like ICarsoft, Snap-on, Autel, etc. which can read fault codes from ABS and transmission too but with very limited programming capability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.