Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted this in another section and someone pointed out this is the appropriate section.
I decided that my next project will be an early series Land rover to use on the coast here in northern CA. Mostly beach and river exploration since we have miles of it here and are currently open to vehicles. Everyone here has a jeep, but thats too easy and common for me, and I always wanted a series rover just because.
I have a mostly a mechanical background and worked on everything from aircraft carriers to mopeds. My last restoration was a VW bus and have currently finished building a Class B RV from a new Promaster van. I'm retired and have a well equipped garage I play in.
I want pre 1974 or 1984 for diesel due to the smog laws here and don't want to loose my mind dealing with sensors and computers.
What models/years would you suggest I look for the type of terrain (mostly local sand and river bed) I'll be using it for? I have no 4wd experience other than owning ones I never took off road. I like simple and light. Must go 55mph as some of the accesses are only accessible from the highway. Also it rains here allot.
Which has the most availability for parts?
Diesel or Gasoline?
Budget of around $20K
Thanks

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Must go 55mph as some of the accesses are only accessible from the highway. Also it rains here allot.
Well that narrows out a series land rover. Without an overdrive fitted they are starting to scream at 50mph and once the brakes get wet they do not work.
The diesel motors were not good in the series days, so would stick with petrol.
If you really want one, get a series 3 stage 1. Has a V8 and constant 4WD.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in California and the process for registering and out of state vehicle is insane, let alone an out of country vehicle. I did do an out of state VW van, is was ridiculous and time consuming requiring several trips and ever-changing requirements depending on who was at the counter and the mood they were in. Similar to the process of getting a colonoscopy with a Polaroid camera.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts