Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if I need a new battery or if I need a new alternator? I let the car sit for two days and its been cold. The car will not crank. The lights go on. The same thing happend to me last week. I jumped the truck and she started right away. Please help shed some light on this problem. Thanks :dunno:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
YOu could have either two things. A bad battery or a drain.

First charge the battery and get it checked at a local auto store.

if its good then you have a drain problem. If it isnt you still could have a drain but most likely a bad cell in the battery.

If you have to jump the vehicle and the alternator was bad the car would shut off soon after taking the jumper cables off. If it runs the alternator is good. Once running the alternator provides the power to run the vehicle and the battery just absorbs extra volts. YOu can have a perfectly good alternator and a bad battery and still run fine.

Although if the battery lite is on its time that the battery wont take a charge and then your really screwed.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Read my log entry for October 14th, 2005.
http://www.okierover.com/roverlog.htm
Or you could have an alternator that is discharging your battery!

If you have the battery checked at an auto parts store. They will tell you it is good or bad. It could have just a single dead cell. Which you could run lights and such but it's not enough umph to start it. And when you jump it it starts fine. I've been there on that.

But my case was wierd, I'll admit that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I went to okie rovers web site its great. The battery had a bad cell. I replaced it with a new battery and it works. :)
Unfortunately the radio wont work because of some kind of code :dunno:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Post a thread on the Radio Code. There is a code when the radio is taken off of power. To prevent people from stealing them.

There is a guy on here that can look up your code based on your VIN.

Look through the threads for radio code and see if you can find the guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.