Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just picked up a 04 discovery. Has 130k on it. Has a few issues I need help with. First when I bought it I was told and shown that the front drivedhaft had broken one of the u joints and torn the tranny pan. That was repaired but when I drive it at 30+mph it has a bad vibration when on the gas. Drives smooth when off. Was told it I'd probably the ball joint in the front drive shaft. Sound about right? Also has an oil leak coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. Around the power steering lines. Any common problems around that area known for oil leaks.any ideas will help. Thanks

·
Administrator
2,422 Posts
Be very careful and very sure that that front shaft is good! Rebuild with 3 new greasable good quality joints and a new centring ball on the double Cardin joint.
Ball joints are not likely to cause a vibration at that speed but should also be checked ( pry bar or similar lifting vertically under the wheel when un weighted.
Usual for the front shaft failure to smash and destroy the transmission when it fails. If it got lucky once, don't count on getting lucky twice. Rebuild that shaft!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question I removed the front drive shaft to try and double check if it was the front shaft making the vibration but when I removed it the truck wouldn't move. The output on the transfer case just spun. Should I still have been able to drive it or is it a limited slip transfer case. I put it in gear with it out and it just rolled

·
Administrator
2,422 Posts
Being a 04 it is likely equipped with central diff lock. You should be able to drive it with diff lock engaged (short term)

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Driveshaft vibrations usually tend to be fairly slight, even if the joints are pretty far past it. Most of the time you replace the joints & centering ball the motion of the shaft will tend to line everything up, so even if you didn't rebalance it you should be ok.

My money's on something else. Maybe transmission or transfer case internals, torn rotoflex, torn engine mounts, etc.

Usually when the shafts fail it's because they seized up. The torque from the engine is plenty strong to snap the shaft, but not before it does damage to the weaker components like rubber and drive gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.