Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put what you think of the new Defender! For me, I think it's capable and tough, but it should be branded as a Defender "successor", kind of like what they did with the new F-type. If they had called it the new E-type, everybody would hate them, but they said it was the E-type's successor. Similarily, Land Rover could of called it the Defiant, and said it was the replacement for the Defender. What do you think?

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have any hands-on experience with the new defender, though I would like to. As a whole, I don’t have much interest in modern LR vehicles, thusly I don’t perceive the new discovery to be a viable successor to the line, nor the defender... LR was once about off-road prowess and are now about pomp and prestige.

the Range Rover was always kind of the “fancy” rover, now it’s all fancy and no rover...

I read an article (will try to find the link) where a Porsche Macan outperformed a discovery 5 off road.

sigh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, Land Rover said the new Defender should appeal to old Discovery owners. Now they admit that both the Discovery 5 and the new Defender aren't good succesors to their lines.

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
The constant changing of owners of the LR marque has completely diluted the brand and lost touch with its roots.
The new defender is the only LR that even has a chance of appealing to me. Sure I’d let my wife pick kids up from school in a d5 or the like, but Id never go hill climbing in one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Discovery Sport I think is better than the Disco 5, and the best Land Rover you can buy right now, but you'd be better off waiting to buy the new Defender 90

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
Meh. For the 45k that a new defender costs, I could build the baddest D2 ever.

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
I would however be incredibly interested in an electric defender

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Land Rover actually made an electric defender in 2013. Everybody hated it, but if they had been happier, the old Defender probably would of survived for way longer.

I like the "do not pressure wash" sign on the battery pack :eek:

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
This is what I speak of. It’s rumored there will be an electric variant of the new defender also.

imagine if you could stop and camp for a day while “refueling” your truck from the sun?

obviously factors such as battery size and weight, solar charging efficacy, etc, will directly impact the usefulness of the system... but technology all starts somewhere. If you run out of gas in the sticks, you’re done.

shoot, you could install a hand crank like those old Russian military flashlights

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, but it's alaska, you can't go out of your car for more than 35 seconds.

·
very disco
1,159 Posts
lol this hypothetical argument is pointless, but I’ll engage: put the hand crank inside the car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great idea! after 2 weeks, you might be able to move an inch! Far better to carry spare batteries that you can use to charge it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion, it is not good enough to be called a defender.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the next Range Rover will be electric, and the Defender is on the same platform.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts