Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
As long as they don’t produce a “defender sport” lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, I actually prefer the Disco sport to the regular Discovery, and this is a chance for Land Rover to make the Defender a real tribute to the original. But it won't.

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
My perception of the “sport” variant is: cheaper, lower, and less capable. Yes I know that I own an RRS, but i had to meet the spousal approval factor (looks) while still getting a rover with four way air suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Most of the critiscism of the New Defender goes something like this: too expensive, too big, bad looking, and will never be off-roaded. Guess what? The Disco Sport is cheaper, smaller, better looking (too me), and is off-roaded way more than it's bigger brother, and it will probably be the same with the Defender Sport. IF they make one and IF they don't screw it up.

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
I think (operator: think) that the d sport is more frequented because it’s less expensive, not because it’s inherently better. That’s just my opinion.

I also don’t care too much for the new styling of the defender compared to the original, however I understand that things must evolve... only AC/DC was somehow able to make the same song over and over again without respite and remain successful, the rest of the world must continually evolve to remain relevant, and re defender has had a great long run.

im not mad at LR about the new defender or even the RRS or DS lines as they’re answering to what the masses will buy, not what the cultish boutique LR fans want. I think most of us are too busy keeping our vintage trucks alive to worry much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hmmm, good point, but didn't Land Rover say the new Defender could also work as a replacement for the old Discovery?

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
Monsanto also said that genetically modified food is fine to eat. At the end of the day, they’re going to say whatever they believe will help them sell trucks.

if money was no issue, I’d probably buy a new defender just because, but there are soooo many things that I would buy before dropping that kind of cash on it. I mean, imagine the D1 or D2 you could build for 40-60k?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
At the end of the day, my opinion, is that the Defender would be better than a built D1, because no matter how dedicated an off-roader you are, you will always spend more time on the road than off it, and that is where the Defender would blow it away. Besides, it could be another "wife approved rover"

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
That’s a fair point operating under the assumption that road manners are a necessity. My disco lacks sophistication on the asphalt, but it’s not my daily driver despite the fact that I drive it every opportunity that I can afford to get 12mpg.

also, one wife approved rover is all I need, and I don’t see her approving a defender of any model year or visage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Okay, but say you live somewhere an hour away from any good off-roding trails. Would you rather spend an hour racheted into a jolting, vibrating car from 30 years ago, or a modern car with massaging seats. Plus, what about overlanding?

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
Yes I suppose there’s something to be said for creature comforts (my daily driver is very well appointed) but I like the rugged utilitarian feel of my disco. The economy isn’t useful for jaunting overland voyages, but I don’t mind the 90min ride to tehuya in the disco and I have three 4gal rotopax heh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also, it would be hard to match the breadth of capability. You could build a Disco 1, but it would be easier to buy the New Defender. After all, when are you really going to use all the capability of a 60k D1? And the New Defender has creature comfort, AND phone connectivity!

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
Buying is never as much fun as building!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK, but what about time frame? Unless you send it to some random shop, which takes all the fun out of it, it'll take you 3 moths at the least.

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
I’ve been building my disco2 since July of last year. It’s as much about the journey as the destination for me, but you’re absolutely right...

if you want a turnkey, luxuriously appointed, (probably) capable 4x4 and money is no matter, the new defender is probably the better buy.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts