Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought my 2000 Disco II last Friday. It had a couple of maintenance issues that I would need to address but the price was right so I went for it. The issues were bad actuators in the windows, the three amigos, and an ac fan not engaging allowing the engine to run hot in certain conditions.

The big issue for me and the one I need to address is the fan issue. On reading up for the past week or so, it seems like Disco IIs blow head gaskets pretty easily. For the most part, the engine runs at normal temp and never goes up past half way. It does tend to creep up in certain conditions that would be consistent with a non-engaging fan. This morning, I was stuck in traffic and it creeped up on me. I flipped the Disco around to go another way and the temp did drop back closer to the normal running range but it did want to run hotter for the rest of the trip, (anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3). I have done some searches on the fan issue but there really isn't anything that stands out as some sort of common issue that I should look at first.

Symptoms note:
The AC blows cold.
The coolant levels are fine including the expansion tank.

Also, I am a bit confused as to what coolant I should be adding. According to Disco Mike's high mileage sticky, it's not DexCool but the traditional green coolant. I read on another page where they recommended DexCool. I imagine there is a reason why this information is conflicting.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Which fan are you talking about, the electric or the viscous? The electric should come on at 212 degrees or with the a/c on. The viscous, if original is probably shot.
Don't trust the temp gauge, it hits the normal position at around 150 and won't move till around 235, so if yours is moving you are already in trouble.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Get yourself an Ultragauge:

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

It's only $60 and will allow you to monitor engine temps and trouble codes much more reliably. I think it's one of the best pieces of kit an LR owner can have.

I have to side with Mike - the damage to your motor has likely already been done. If the temp gauge left it's resting position just shy of the center, then your engine has already experienced temps of 230F+ which is more than enough to do some serious damage. I very highly doubt that a faulty fan is the cause of this - if I drive my Disco in heavy traffic on the hottest day (and living in Tampa, FL this could mean 95F, 100% humidity, and UTTER gridlock) my engine will not go above 208F. 90% of the time it's between 194F and 197F. That isn't even hot enough for the AC fan to be necessary.

As for your coolant issue? DEXCOOL is specified as OEM in our trucks. However, it has been determined that the DEXCOOL is highly damaging to our aluminum block engines and head gaskets, so it's wise to flush the system of the old DEXCOOL and refill it with the standard green stuff.

It seems like you are relatively mechanical, so if I were you I'd inspect the water pump, radiator, and coolant hoses for leaks, high pressure, or clogging, and go from there. Best case you just need a few parts and a system bleed. Worst case your engine will need a rebuild.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that sounds horrible. I'm hoping for the best case. The fan is the AC condensor fan that isn't running. Spoke to the Seller, they said that it wasn't running and that they unplugged it to not cause a drain/short. I bought it from a place that sells older Rovers so they seem to know a little about these. For what it's worth, I was assured that the head gasket wasn't blown and though it's been twenty five years since I have had a head gasket blow, so far, it does not seem to be exhibiting the signs of a blown head gasket. However, after reading threads on Rover forums for the last few days, it seems like just by allowing it to run hot, I could be looking at a head gasket repair in the near future or possibly worse. I will get this fixed quickly and park it until I can get it taken care of.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You can buy a good guaranteed used fan from Paul Grant, number below, for a lot less then a new one.
Do it soon so you do no more possible damage.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you down loaded a free copy of the Rave CD, it is in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts