Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovsry
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So new owner here. I am luckily a pretty handy guy, so hopefully this will be a good vehicle for the wife and I to cruise around in.

Just bought a pretty good 2002 in LA, that looks REALLY clean. No rust, paint has no sun spots, engine looks and sounds clean, and amazingly... no leaks underneath! I know, it must be out of oil haha.

Lots of things planned, but first is to get her running reliably. I have just bought a new CKPS sensor due to the car not starting reliably when it’s hot. And it gets 110-115 out here in the desert!

Next I bought an ultragauge to keep an eye on the coolant temperatures. But luckily the coolant system seems to be running well.

Other than that, I will replace all the fluids, oil, differentials, air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, wires, 180 degree tstat, and bleed and service the brakes.

If there is anything else you guys can think of, let me know! I’m excited to get started!

·
G4 Mike
105 Posts
There is a heater plate under the throttle body. It has 2 small coolant lines going to it. Mine was leaking on the valve cover and coolant never made it to the ground. It's easy to fix. You might want to see what condition it is in.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
Perhaps even bypass that if you’re living in the desert.

welcome to the forum and the family

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a heater plate under the throttle body. It has 2 small coolant lines going to it. Mine was leaking on the valve cover and coolant never made it to the ground. It's easy to fix. You might want to see what condition it is in.
Strap! YES! I’ve been actually wondering about that. I have two lines coming off that which go no where. Let me post a picture and you guys can tell me what you think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tape is, I’m assuming, because the previous owner thought it was a vacuum line? I don’t know haha

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow, that throttle heater is def something you want to fix or cap off ASAP.

The gasket is super cheap and you'll need it anyway. An easy eBay search.

If you want to run lines to it it's not super difficult. As mentioned before, if you're in warmer climates there def is zero need for it and you can cap off without issue.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
All that does is leak coolant. It’s secondary job is to circulate coolant through the throttle to defrost the assembly on a cold start. If there’s never any frost, oh well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All that does is leak coolant. It’s secondary job is to circulate coolant through the throttle to defrost the assembly on a cold start. If there’s never any frost, oh well.
So just leave it alone? Maybe fix the scotch tape part?

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
If you decide to leave it bypassed, there’s no harm in that. Maybe just do a better job bypassing it (-:you shouldn’t need anything connected to the intake and discharge lines on the throttle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you guys say bypassed, can I just leave it as is, with the two ports sitting open? Or do I need to close them off?

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
The two coolant lines have already been plugged or deleted. Capping the throttle is purely aesthetic, but I’d do it. Mine is weeping a little coolant atm, and I think I’ll just replace the gasket but I’m irrationally purist sometimes... it freezes quite a bit in the winter too in Seattle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just to give everyone a sneak peak, here is the car as she was bought!

We had quite a weekend getting her sorted out. So far we’ve tightened the throttle cable to take the slop out of the gas pedal, removed the running boards, which are OEM and in fantastic shape if anyone wants to buy them ;). Then changed the engine oil, both differentials and transfer case, and then removed the plastic door guards that were starting to fall off. Finished that off with a solid deep scrub inside and out, clay barred it, and then waxed over that.

It’s almost a new car, and I can’t wait to show you all tomorrow! It got too dark to take a good picture so tomorrow you guys will get to see her!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

As promised! Here she is as she sits. Even though the ash from all the CA fires got on her 😡😡. But she’s looking good! Today I added some Mother’s Back to Black trim restorer and it really brought her back to life.

Funny story, I’ve been battling a Crank Position sensor the last few days and have ordered a new one. I thought she would still be good to drive though, as long as the engine wasn’t hot. Took her for a spin after all the work yesterday and she ran great.... until we got back into the driveway at home and then she just plain quit. That meant leaving her halfway in the driveway for a few hours. Waited until midnight, fired her up, and then put her in the garage.

Woke up the next morning and went to start her up and she won’t start. So the sensor is more than gone now. It’s honestly a miracle we got her 200 miles down the road from LA. The pictures you see are because of our neighbors helping us push her back into the driveway hahaha. We’ll get the ol girl reliably running again!

·
Drives like an old man
410 Posts
That's a beauty! Sounds like you've already put a lot of thought into this project, so I'm confident you'll have a positive ownership experience. Here's hoping, anyway!

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
a guy and his Rover(s) is a beautiful thing

·
Registered
638 Posts
a guy and his Rover(s) is a beautiful thing
I too enjoy seeing new Land Rover owners with enthusiasm..
and someone with skills is even better...
good luck with your treasure....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the positive comments guys! This is turning out to be my build thread haha. I’m excited to join this club with all of you. It is an awesome vehicle, and it seems like it’s a great ride and pretty reliable as long as it’s taken care of properly.

And for last nights most recent update!

Ultragauge is mounted and plugged in! It actually looks pretty good. Hopefully today the Crank Position Sensor comes in so I can get the ol girl running again. I’m pretty sure the sensor has completely died because now it won’t start at all. If that doesn’t work, it’ll be back to square one researching the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts