Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked with Land Rover Las Vegas to provide a 1.5 inch lift on this new Discovery.
They mounted some 285-50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on some black wheels.
Nice anti-glare on the hood with some custom graphics. Higher ground clearance than the LR4 and better performance.
Call them if you want one like this. We are selling the lifts to Land Rover dealers for installation.
See more on our website:
eCommerce11
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
1,783 Posts
Looks better with lift, could use mud flaps, some extra bumper lights, and color code the rear pillars. Giving it a rally racing look. Can you fit 275 55 20's with the lift?
Dave

·
1,783 Posts
LOL. My brother has the 2017 Ford Explorer with all the bells and crap in no way is it like the new D5. I test drove both. The Explorer has no power, terrible visibility and the materials are not that great. The D5 is not my style, but its way better then an Explorer. The Explorer is the cheap copy or is the New Discovery the expensive proper idea.
Dave

·
Drives like an old man
341 Posts
Why such low profile tires? That's a good way to bend a rim in rock country. Sure, it looks cool, but.... Oh. I think I just answered my own question.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LOL. My brother has the 2017 Ford Explorer with all the bells and crap in no way is it like the new D5. I test drove both. The Explorer has no power, terrible visibility and the materials are not that great. The D5 is not my style, but its way better then an Explorer. The Explorer is the cheap copy or is the New Discovery the expensive proper idea.
Dave
Yeah- that's why you have to wonder why Rover didn't notice they were designing a truck that looked a bunch like the worlds best selling mid-sized SUV. Kia? I get that. Rover?

·
1,783 Posts
Land Rover's designer designed the Explorer for Ford. The redesign for the Discovery 5 was already on going. He used the inspiration for it to make the Explorer. This was during the Land Rover Ford years of ownership. The Ford Flex is a copy of the RRC/P38, the Ford Escape copy of the LR2/LR3. The Explorer copy RRS new designed meshed with Discovery 5 idea. Ford used the TC dial on the explorer once patent form LR was done, so did Jeep. The TC dial came from Jag. In 04 LR decided to use the 4.4 V8 in the new LR3/D3 as main engine. Ford also put the Ranger/Explorer 4.0 V6 engine in some of the LR3's (05-07) for the US market as a cheaper base model but the engine does not have enough power for a almost 6k pound truck and not as realiable as the Jag 4.4 V8. Ford took a lot of the LR design and 4x4 technology with them when they sold LR to TATA. I do think it was a great idea for Ford to own LR then they made the LR product more reliable. TATA has putt a lot of $$$ into LR/Jag. The 4.4 & 5.0 Jags where also made by Ford at the time. LR is now about to use BMW for their engines. That did not work during the 1998-2004/05 years (P38's, D2's, RR till 04/05 pre Jag 4.4).
Dave

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
...and now we have the the Displorer.

The M62 4.4 BMW engine worked out well for BMW. The problems began when they ended up with third and fourth owners who failed to maintain them. The BMW transmission is another story.

·
1,783 Posts
Maintaining the 4.4 BMW engine on the RR from 03-05 called for internal timing belt and pulley replacement at about 50K or so. That is not regular service and if not done it can jump timing. The Jag 4.4 just needs an oil change, its a bullet proof engine that can do 300K plus.
Dave

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The M62 engine had chains. My wife had an E39 (540i) that ended up being my daughter's in college. It had 220k on it when I sold it on the factory chains and guides. (I pushed it) I've owned several- maintained properly they're issue-free- at least they have been for me. I don't know what Rover did differently.

·
1,783 Posts
yes chain.

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
I worked with Land Rover Las Vegas to provide a 1.5 inch lift on this new Discovery.
They mounted some 285-50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on some black wheels.
Nice anti-glare on the hood with some custom graphics. Higher ground clearance than the LR4 and better performance.
Call them if you want one like this. We are selling the lifts to Land Rover dealers for installation.
Was this with the Capability Pack - i.e., air suspension?

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave:
I have a customer putting on 275-55-20's BFG KO II tires with the lift. Hope to have pictures to share soon and feedback on the fit.

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...and now we have the the Displorer.

The M62 4.4 BMW engine worked out well for BMW. The problems began when they ended up with third and fourth owners who failed to maintain them. The BMW transmission is another story.
I think people are going to be surprised how well this vehicle performs off road despite the stock "Displorer" look. Install a few after market upgrades and it will look much different.
Hope to get some pics like that soon.
Greg

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm sure it will go like hell.

I'm just venting my unhappiness with the direction that TATA is taking with Rover. They turned the new Discovery into a Budget Range Rover. In doing so, they killed the Land Rover brand and in my opinion, shot themselves in the foot with the Range Rover crowd. They totally diluted the upscale vibe of the Range Rover by making a mini-me version. In fact, I can't tell one from the other in the lineup, aside from the full size Range Rover and the Evoque. And the names? Confusing. And if it confuses me, as an enthusiast, what does it do for the average guy shopping SUV's. But hey, it's TATA's billions, not mine. And I wasn't going to buy a new one anyway. I just ordered a new Tahoe.

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sure it will go like hell.

I'm just venting my unhappiness with the direction that TATA is taking with Rover. They turned the new Discovery into a Budget Range Rover. In doing so, they killed the Land Rover brand and in my opinion, shot themselves in the foot with the Range Rover crowd. They totally diluted the upscale vibe of the Range Rover by making a mini-me version. In fact, I can't tell one from the other in the lineup, aside from the full size Range Rover and the Evoque. And the names? Confusing. And if it confuses me, as an enthusiast, what does it do for the average guy shopping SUV's. But hey, it's TATA's billions, not mine. And I wasn't going to buy a new one anyway. I just ordered a new Tahoe.
Agree that the model names and features are somewhat confusing. I believe customizing like what has happened with the LR3 and LR4 will be important for this model to set it apart.

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is another Land Rover dealer build with a Johnson Rod 1.5 inch lift and 275-55-20 Goodyear DuraTrac MT's (31.9 inches),roof rack and black powder coated wheels.
There may be room to go 285-55-20 and I want to check that out next. I would like to see more of a safari type rack.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
That's my color...Silicon Silver. Nice to see the 275/55-20's fit, that will be mod #1 on mine when it arrives....
The Silicon Silver does look nice. Are you going with the same black wheels?
I went with silver and silver roof rails...couldn't convince the wife that black wheels looked good. Would rather have black wheels for off-roading since it would be easier to touch them up. I personally think they look great. Didn't get the black roof either as it forces you to get 21" wheels.

Wish the graphite gray was an option in the 20's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts