Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m about to do the same with my 2001 D2. My engine has an internal knock that is not the usual things, so rather than spend tons of money on my 4L to find the problem and fix it I want to swap in an LS.
I’m extra confused by the wiring/ECU changes. What route did you take? Did you buy a new wiring harness from BP Automotive, or another vendor, or did you modify the original L33 harness? Did you buy a new ECU from the same company, or did you buy a used “drive by cable” ECU and throttle body and have it reprogrammed?
Do the directions from ACE guide you through all those electrical hurdles, or do you think you just had to figure it out on your own?
Tracer
My Disco has an 5.3 LM4 and an early ACE setup.

My GM harness and GM ECM was from PSI. Totally worth it to have them wire that end in my opinion. All the original GM harnesses are getting old at this point and it was piece of mind having a brand new standalone GM harness in there. Harness was really well put together. PSI did the start-up tune. I later bought HP Tuners to tune it myself, but the startup tune worked okay. Not worth the trouble of reworking an old harness IMO - you can see that process on www.lt1swap.com.

LM4 comes with a drive-by-wire throttle body, so you have to swap to the older drive-by-cable throttle body. I bought that from LKQ.

ACE guide explains all wiring changes required for the Land Rover harness and how to wire in ECB, etc. They will also do most of the changes for you if you send your harness to them and pay extra.

·
Bleeds Green
183 Posts
I’m extra confused by the wiring/ECU changes. What route did you take?
Tracer
Great question. That was a bit daunting to me at first as well. The LS harness came from PSI with a nice accompanying diagram. The ACE instructions tell you how to modify your LR harness to work but I sent mine to ACE to be modified and repaired where required. You use both the LS and LR wiring harnesses in this application. The LS harness manages the engine and the LR harness gets data for things like the tach, the oil pressure warning light, transmission, traction control, temp gauge, etc. It's kind of tough to conceptualize until you see it all laid out and then it makes sense. I got the LS ECU on ebay and I sent it off to be flashed by a company in Kansas with specs that ACE provided them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great question. That was a bit daunting to me at first as well. The LS harness came from PSI with a nice accompanying diagram. The ACE instructions tell you how to modify your LR harness to work but I sent mine to ACE to be modified and repaired where required. You use both the LS and LR wiring harnesses in this application. The LS harness manages the engine and the LR harness gets data for things like the tach, the oil pressure warning light, transmission, traction control, temp gauge, etc. It's kind of tough to conceptualize until you see it all laid out and then it makes sense. I got the LS ECU on ebay and I sent it off to be flashed by a company in Kansas with specs that ACE provided them.
Do you happen to have the ACE instructions for the ecm flash changes they require and also the land rover harness mods required? I would like to go ahead and send in my ecm to PSI or LT1swap to have the computer setup. I can pull a harness from a LR thats in the junkyard here and do the modifications. Idea is to have everything ready to go so when I purchase the kit, I can do an LS swap in a weekend. Wouldn't that be a feat!!

·
Bleeds Green
183 Posts
Do you happen to have the ACE instructions for the ecm flash changes they require and also the land rover harness mods required? I would like to go ahead and send in my ecm to PSI or LT1swap to have the computer setup. I can pull a harness from a LR thats in the junkyard here and do the modifications. Idea is to have everything ready to go so when I purchase the kit, I can do an LS swap in a weekend. Wouldn't that be a feat!!
I don't have the ECM specs. ACE works with a company in Kansas to re-flash the ECM. I'd love to share the wiring harness modification instructions but I don't think ACE would appreciate it. Feel free to contact them to ask for it. They may have a lead time on their kit but he sends the instructions and the parts list right away so you could get started.

I don't know if the entire process can be pulled off in a weekend. There's more to it than just modifying the wiring, flashing the ECM and stabbing the engine. The parts list he provides has a couple dozen items that you need for the swap. The modifications to existing LR accessory brackets take time to do properly and there's no way you'd know what to do without the pictures to guide you. The GM water pump housing needs to be modified, tranny cooler lines need to be made, a new fuel rail is needed for the LS, etc. It'd be best to do the tranny seal and all the gaskets on the new engine as well. After it's in you'll need an exhaust shop to weld up the exhaust unless you can weld (which I can't). If you have all the parts ready and all the modifications done you could probably do the swap in a weekend. It doesn't seem possible to do everything that is required in just a couple of days but I'm no pro mechanic.

Lastly, be sure to read which engines are compatible with the swap before you buy an LS-based engine. I went with an L33 because it's the closest in weight to the 4.6L and the most powerful.

Reactions: V50_M66
21 - 24 of 24 Posts