Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here taken off the stock exaust cat back system and replaced it with a Flow Master Stage II besides me?

The results:
I remember the muffler guy asking me if I wanted the silencer exuast piece that sits just under the rear bumper welded back on when I get the Flowmaster welded in... I said silencer?? no way jose, I want this thing breathen strong like Lance Armststrong!!
It's been a good year now with teh exaust on there and I still love it.
From the moment I fire my Disco up, I love the rumble of my wittle 4.0 because it sounds greasier then my Old 66 RIVI with it's 425 Nailhead....

just rolling under 40 it sounds liek a hot rod coming down the street.
When Im offroading it is misleading to see such a classy clean vehicle gurgling over ruts at under 5 mph.

And I say I have picked up a few mpg but not much.
All in all, I am very happy with the decision. :beer: :clap:

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Interesting, got pics? I'd like to see what it looks like. What was the price point? Did you keep the stock cats? what type of tubing? what diameter?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm,
I dont know the size of the tubing though I know it was the same size that came stock.
The Muffler guy had to see if he had one in stock to fit my cat.
Cat back is from the catylitic converter back to the new Flowmaster and then onto my tail pipe.
As far as what kind of tubing.......it looks liek steel tubing to me.
Yep, the Cat was left in.
Cost about 300 bucks.

I can take a pic, but it looks just liek a flat boring muffler. Plus im not stoked on resizing pics just to post them here, impatient I guess.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I am the only LRO Bro with a Flowmaster, or upgraded exaust for that matter.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No, I have a flowmaster with a straight pipe in the back. If you watch the Back East video (Dweb) you'll see my 88 RR (White) going up Wurtsboro with three gutted cats, a flowmaster and a straight pipe (you can hear it also).

Next week I'll have the Janspeed headers on.

Tubing is 2 1/4" OD

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

thanks for the post,

Now I have a question I think you can anwser.

A tow truck driver once told me about how you can saw off the cat at it's top and bottom and stick a straight pipe in to allow for the huge increase in airflow.
But have it done in a way that is easily swappable so when you need to get your rig smogged and stuff you just pop the pipe out and the cat back in.

Have you any info or links on that being done with a Land Rover, pref a Disco series II.
My first thought is some damn sensor misreading and shooting off throwing a code.

Thanks. Sharky

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hailsharky said:
John,
My first thought is some damn sensor misreading and shooting off throwing a code.
I haven't heard the effects of anyone removing thier cats, but I'm pretty sure it would throw a code do to the post-cat O2 sensors reading the same as the pre-cat sensors. Have you considered performance cats? I'm pretty sure Jegs sells them, and they're not expensive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
John C said:
No, I have a flowmaster with a straight pipe in the back. If you watch the Back East video (Dweb) you'll see my 88 RR (White) going up Wurtsboro with three gutted cats, a flowmaster and a straight pipe (you can hear it also).

Next week I'll have the Janspeed headers on.

Tubing is 2 1/4" OD
2 1/4? that seems a little restrictive to me. Stock it has 2.5, and if you go to a 3.0 inch pipe will give better flow. just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.