Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new (serviceable) front drive shaft from Tom Wood to replace the OEM shaft. I had a mechanic shop do it since I don't know enough to do it myself. (Yes, I've read this needs to be done sooner than later.) Since replacement, however, I noticed that a bit of vibration and rumble occurs at higher speeds, essentially anything above 72 mph. This didn't happen prior to the replacement, so I'm fairly certain it must be related. Any ideas? Do I have a bad drive shaft, wrong drive shaft, bad installation, bad fit, etc.?

It's a Tom Wood drive shaft, and came highly recommended. It's my understanding that they make quality products, so I'm reluctant to think the drive shaft itself is bad.
Here are the specs as provided on the invoice from Tom Wood:
TYPE A, DOUBLE CARDAN, CV DRIVE SHAFT 2" TUBE-FULL LENGTH EXTENDED LIFE SPLINE W/ DUST CAP
DISCOVERY 2 FLANGE FOR 1310 SERIES U-JOINT @ TRANSFER
CASE
DIN FLANGE FOR 1310 SERIES U-JOINT @ DIFFERENTIAL
FINISHED LENGTH RUNNING POSITION
FACE OF FLANGE TO FACE OF FLANGE= 24.75"

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers.

My vehicle: 2000 Disco 2 with 124,000 miles.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Mistakes happen even to the best. A local shop specialized in rebuilding drive shafts could check it for balance. Maybe it got out of balance after manufacturing for some reason?

Once you remove it to have it checked maybe have a look at the bearings on the diff and on the transfer case? Oil levels?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.